12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Kissology III
Feb 22, 2008, 03:43
Moon Cat wrote:
Can I just point out that, although I find it utterly distasteful myself as a KISS fan, you have to admit that KISSco have, from the outset, always been totally honest and upfront about their merchandising and money grabbing. Simmons has always shouted out loud that he IS a greedy, captitalist pig and has no qualms about all the goodies/tat he flogs. He likes money, wants it and is open about it. And I have to be honest, if I had the dosh, I'd love that DVD set and there's other things such as the action figures I'd like. I would.

It may be be a merchandising horror show but KISS run it and are open about it and I'd much rather that than the subtefuge of so called 'credible' artists like Bob Dylan, McCartney to name but two of many doing snidey deals to flog their wares in Starbucks and doing ads in Japan where they hope their Western fans won't see them.

I don't think you or Kiss should have to justify their merchandise or their sales. Any fan who thinks that musicians are some kind of demi-god who fall from grace should they sell anything but cd's and t-shirts (not to mention stickers, buttons and patches) are looking for something that isn't there. Namely, a musician who isn't trying to earn a living. If there wasn't a market for all this Kiss crap, then no one would buy it and Kiss wouldn't keep producing it. If all people cared about was music, we would simply sing and dance amongst our families. But people love to buy stuff.

Sorry if I'm taking a harsh tone, you obviously understand, but I just run into so many people who still have this notion of 'selling out'. I don't even know what that means. Maybe the people who buy 'Blackspot' sneakers understand.

Unsung Forum Index