Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2008, 22:43
Re: Art Jackson's Atrocity a Hoax?
Mar 31, 2008, 22:43
Do you remember the Unknown Deutschland saga 15 odd years back?
Where several of the bands on the compi were actually supposed to be contemporary to the release instead of obscure mid 70s German acts?
Would think that was a pretty direct analogy.
size of fanbase for the musics being of similar size etc.

Would think that Cosey era Miles was actually more popular & somewhat of a cornerstone of alternative experimental rock influence. Probably have been for last 10 years or so. Would think the '97 electric remasters would have had an immediate audience though I am looking in hindsight so don't know how accurate that is.
Stevo
Np John Cale Dallas '79 Leavin It Up to you
ironlung
33 posts

Edited Apr 02, 2008, 17:13
Re: Art Jackson's Atrocity a Hoax?
Apr 02, 2008, 16:56
They sound cool to me.
davedave
12 posts

Re: Art Jackson's Atrocity a Hoax? MAYBE NOT!
Apr 02, 2008, 17:12
Check this out. A newspaper article from The Tampa Tribune dated July 31, 1987. I have this IN HAND, so I know it's real. Sorry, I blocked out some names because I'm still researching the people involved. Lots of weirdness about this band.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/Photopost100/ArtJacksonnewspapersmall.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/Photopost100/ArtJacksonnewspapercoversmall.jpg
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 02, 2008, 17:18
Interesting the scan is small, hard to read.

They were playing in 1987?

Why block out the names?
ironlung
33 posts

Edited Apr 02, 2008, 17:30
Apr 02, 2008, 17:30
What's the big deal?
davedave
12 posts

Edited Apr 02, 2008, 19:13
Apr 02, 2008, 17:37
zphage wrote:
Interesting the scan is small, hard to read.

They were playing in 1987?

Why block out the names?

Hi z,

Here's a bigger close up. Photobucket was taking forever.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/Photopost100/ArtJacksonArticlecloseup.jpg

I blocked the names because I'm doing some research on this band. I was talking with the GNOSIS guys - the people that STARTED THE RUMOR that Catasto Electtrico was behind Art Jackson (dead wrong). And, after dealing with them I'm holding my information a little closer to the vest for now (and taking what I read on GNOSIS with a big grain of salt).

I was hoping the article might bring some more info to the surface, but I'm not holding my breath.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Apr 03, 2008, 16:55
So . . . . AJA might really be an 80's band from Florida?

It almost sounds like the real story might be as interesting as the fake one (doing Miles-Cosey music in 1987 is almost more outlandish than the original 1974 story.)

I tend to agree with Stevo that electro-Miles is very popular in the current decade (what with all the "session" box sets coming out) -- so faking a 70's record in that style doesn't seem like a bad idea for marketing a band in the current context (if one had no scruples!)
Zebulon
Zebulon
115 posts

Zapahage a Hoax?
Apr 04, 2008, 09:12
...Undercover for reddit! (Apparently)

With all the freshest, up to the minute news.

Like: "The White ALbum" issued in mono (*YAWWWWNNN*)

ZZzzzz
Gnosis2000
2 posts

Apr 09, 2008, 01:36
davedave wrote:

I blocked the names because I'm doing some research on this band. I was talking with the GNOSIS guys - the people that STARTED THE RUMOR that Catasto Electtrico was behind Art Jackson (dead wrong). And, after dealing with them I'm holding my information a little closer to the vest for now (and taking what I read on GNOSIS with a big grain of salt).

I was hoping the article might bring some more info to the surface, but I'm not holding my breath.

That's not true. We did not start the rumor. That rumor was out there amongst the blogs, and we latched onto it. We may have been the most visited website with that comment, but we weren't the first. After some back and forth with you, we agreed to remove the Cattasto reference. You won that discussion. No need to maintain hostility towards us.

Our biggest point of contention was that we felt (and still do feel) AJA is a hoax. Because we got started off on the wrong foot (you did accuse us right off the bat, rather than engage in peaceful dialog), it appeared to us you were vehemently defending the story that was going around (and, for the record, you were not).

The story that Art Jackson was a Miles Davis bankrolled fusion album released on Columbia is utter bullcrap. The cover has been clearly photoshop'd. The music is from a modern era, with modern production qualities, no way from 1974. These facts we are not backing off from.

As someone pointed out earlier, it has the same feel as those Psi-Fi Krautrock albums that were going around about 10 years ago. When you deal in rare vinyl for over 20 years, and never even hear of something exisiting, it's bound to draw some skepticism. And, as it stands, no originals of those Psi-Fi albums have ever emerged. Nor will Art Jackson's Atrocity, at least not on Columbia from 1974. If it was a privately reeased cassette from 1987, then that's much more believable. Not to mention quite cool!

Still, I cannot see why you wouldn't share the article in full with us? It looks to be a fascinating find. We asked you then, and we're asking you now, if you can offer us any information. I cannot see why you wouldn't share it.
davedave
12 posts

Edited Apr 17, 2008, 15:04
Apr 09, 2008, 06:35
Gnosis2000 wrote:
Still, I cannot see why you wouldn't share the article in full with us? It looks to be a fascinating find. We asked you then, and we're asking you now, if you can offer us any information. I cannot see why you wouldn't share it.

I'm not sharing any more info with GNOSIS because you guys have a habit, at least in this instance, of printing wrong information. Even now... I've stipulated my personal beliefs at least three times in emails to you guys and you just now misrepresented it once AGAIN (until you went back and edited your comments to change it "for the record").

At the time, you had refused to remove YOUR rumor (the false assumption that Art Jackson WAS Catasto Elettrico) and you stuck by that assumption until I was forced to point out how you knew nothing about where it all came from and the My Space pages - predating when you guys EVER heard of it. You actually stated you already had enough "evidence" and refused to change your info. It was only my persistence that helped you to correct embarrassingly wrong information from your site. Don't mention it, by the way.

So... since you specifically asked, THAT'S why I block out information when talking to Unsung readers. Because of dealing with you guys! You'll note I didn't share it with GNOSIS in the first place. There's a reason for that. I didn't appreciate your condescension then... and your misrepresentation now. Don't make me quote emails, they're not pretty.

I'm not researching this for GNOSIS, you know. So stop asking me to share my info. You guys ACT like sources of information, but yet haven't lifted a finger to look into this yourselves. Even now!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index