Art Jackson's Atrocity a Hoax?

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Art Jackson's Atrocity a Hoax?
Feb 18, 2008, 21:31
There was a group from Denmark or Poland or somewhere called "Kraftwelt" that traded in forgeries of "guess who" . . .
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 22:38
Dog 3000 wrote:
What with the whole retro-nostalgia cycle we're caught up in

soon as i read that review + thought "sounds right up my street" i banged title into google + realised it was a hoax from the hits (scarcity of ...) ... yeah, retro-nostalgia ... terrible thing ... i can live w/out any more "unearthed treasures" i reckon (ok, ok, that live harmonia thing was pretty great) - often that stuff has me shrugging + reaching for "white light white heat" or "funhouse" or "ascension" or {insert yr own tried + tested solid favourite}, or something new + modern that makes my spine tingle (can be difficult to find sometimes)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Feb 19, 2008, 02:58
The flipside to that is usually when a scene is well trolled, and everything seems to have been heard.

Things that pop up as Holy Grails usually disappoint, and were not the hunt. You can see why they were obscure or not released.

But then hope springs eternal...
davedave
12 posts

Edited Apr 17, 2008, 15:01
Feb 20, 2008, 19:03
Only thing more fun than a hoax is the people who think it is one.

No offense... but someone needs to listen to the Castato guys. They're a trio. NONE of their material (I've got all 5 of their releases) sounds even remotely like Art Jackson.

More importantly... I asked them about it. They said "definitely not" and said they got the links and information from a blog called Never Get Out Of The Boat, who is no longer running the links. I've yet to hear back from them about it.

I don't know if Art Jackson is a hoax or not. But more rumors aren't going to get to the bottom of it.

Dave
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Feb 20, 2008, 19:17
hmmm...plot thickens
davedave
12 posts

Feb 20, 2008, 19:21
Sorry... forgot to mention. Catasto dosen't even have a guitarist.

Found this poking around. From the Totally Fuzzy posting page from May 2007. Catasto's very first blog post was in August 2007 ...

joe v berlin, Di 2007-05-08 23:54
Never Get Out Of The Boat UPDATE
*ART JACKSON'S ATROCITY - Gout (1974)
(Unreleased Experimental Jazz/Rock LP Bankrolled By Miles Davis)
*THE BEACH BOYS - Pet Sounds a cappella (1966)
Hear Before You Download @ Never Get Out Of The Boat
@ http://nevergetoutoftheboat.blogspot.com/
davedave
12 posts

Feb 20, 2008, 19:57
Dog 3000 wrote:

The title "Shaft in Afghanistan" is way too future-perfect-hip for 1974 if you think about it -- but a perfect cliche-title for this decade.

Actually... that appears to be a reference to the 1973 movie "Shaft In Africa," which came out the year before Art Jackson's Atrocity was (supposed to be) recorded.
davedave
12 posts

Feb 22, 2008, 18:43
zphage wrote:
Apparently, there is a possibility that this is a modern day Italian
prog/fusion band: Catasto Elettrico .

That idea was printed on the GLOSIS web site. They have since removed it... saying they don't actually know who's behind it.
davedave
12 posts

Feb 22, 2008, 18:46
davedave wrote:
zphage wrote:
Apparently, there is a possibility that this is a modern day Italian
prog/fusion band: Catasto Elettrico .

That idea was printed on the GLOSIS web site. They have since removed it... saying they don't actually know who's behind it.

Sorry... GNOSIS.
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Mar 31, 2008, 22:12
Good...so this album being a hoax is a hoax itself? It is strange that info is so sparse...but I don't see why a modern-day group would record something and go through such obscure channels to "market" it. I mean, it's not like Cosey/Lucas/et al-era Miles Davis fans make up a large target audience.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index