83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: overrated guitarists
Feb 18, 2008, 21:02
keith a wrote:

But I am surprised from what I know of your tastes that you don't like the Stones. Are you being wilfully perverse?

No, I am serious. I really do think Keefo is just recycling "riffs of black guys from the 50's and earlier" (I use "Check Berry" for shorthand, cuz he was the most obvious in this case.) And frankly I'm not really much of a fan of the old-timey 50's rock in the first place. So he's an imitation of stuff I don't care much about. (And the fact the Stones add disco & reggae later is just more cultural mooching.)

Also, as a musician, I have never understood guitar players going on and on about that guy. I think you "had to be there" in the 60's-70's (I don't know what younger folks' excuse is -- I mean, worship Hendrix or Thruston Moore or Helen Wiggin or anybody who was original! Why be a third-hand imitator?) See also IanB's comments below, which I agree with totally (and then some.)

As for all the "but Paint It Black was totally different" arguments -- that was Brian Jones obviously, as they stopped doing that sort of thing pretty much entirely after they kicked him out and got "bloozy" again.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index