IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2008, 08:19
Re: Jimmy Page?
Feb 17, 2008, 08:18
Moth wrote:
Ah - I forgot him!!!

Much as I love a lot of the songs he wrote with Zeppelin, and admire his versatility etc, soloswise, bar a few I've never understood why he's rated so highly.

love

Moth

Well he had that amazing layered guitar army thing going for him on Presence and he brought that folk / north african / indic influences into 'heavy' rock. Where Beck and Clapton were purely blues merchants Page was more orchestral.

Also I think he scored big for looking like a man who had genuine charisma and a bit of rocknroll sex magik going for him. He looked like he belonged on stadium stages whereas Clapton has always looked like he should be propping up the bar between sets at the Half Moon smoking roll ups and reading the Daily Mail racing page.

So for me it's not what JP has done it's the lack of productivity that astonishes me.

And when it comes to anglo blues Peter Green was miles ahead of all of them.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Feb 17, 2008, 08:21
paradox wrote:
No Ian you are spot on mate!

The last time old JP did owt worth listening too was PRESENCE!

Achilles last stand and the rest of the album is awesome mate!

It's a brilliant record. His last golden moment as a guitar player.
machineryelf
3679 posts

Feb 17, 2008, 14:50
He managed to make The Black Crowes slightly less loathsome than usual which deserves a few points, and if you check out any live boots especially the Page/Plant 96 Japan tour you'll see he still has the magic

I was lucky enough to be 3rd row from the front for the Firm in Edinboro and he shone despite the material being performed.

Admittedly he also made Coverdale/Page and seems totally oblivious to the modern world but Robert Plant & JPJ seems to have covered all those bases so we'll forgive him

He was also involved quite heavily in devoloping that all singing all dancing i can be in any tune u like Gibson guitar wasn't he
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 10:10
Never really rated Page .. even though he apparently appeared on every other British pop single released between about 1960 and 1970, or something. Super sessioneer he may well have been, but I've always found his playing a bit workmanlike.

I'm not convinced that he's got a signature sound or his technique was particularly influential. And that trick with the violin bow I always thought was a bit embarrassing.

Tony Iommi, to my mind, was/is the most influential British guitarist ever.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 10:52
Not sure what Page has done in the last so many years either but the 1970 Albert Hall gig from the Zep box set is probably the best rock gig I've ever seen and heard on DVD. All four of them on that gig are electrifying and there's enough Page brilliance on that to last a lifetime. In rock terms, I think no guitarist or band has ever come close to that. They were simply awesome at that time. Think he's taken a back seat now but sure he's still a great player.

8)
radagast
radagast
264 posts

Jimi Hendrix
Feb 18, 2008, 11:26
... I see a storm of protests coming my way, so I hasten to explain: his guitar playing is only overrated in comparison to his songwriting and his abilities as a recording artist. Imho both of these are massively underrated.

For me Jimi is more the genious that wrote songs and pieces like bold as love or 1983 or little wing than the showoff guitar virtuoso.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 14:23
Of course Page stole that violin bow trick from the Creation.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2008, 03:41
Re: overrated guitarists
Feb 18, 2008, 16:46
Can't think of many who haven't already been mentioned. Eric Clapton - defnitely. With the exceptions of "I Feel Free" and "Anyone For Tennis" I've always found Cream boring as hell. Plus, as Dog 3000 has already pointed out, the Yardbirds got better after he left.

Jimmy Page - I quite like Led Zeppelin, no more, no less, except for that 26-minute version of "Dazed and Confused", which sounds like a slapdash orgy of unfocussed noodling to my ears. And as for that live version of "Moby Dick" - the only person in the world who should ever have been allowed by law to play drum solos is Robert Wyatt IMO.

Peter Green - "Albatross" is brilliant, the rest is just hamfisted cod-blues rock. Give me Lightnin' Hopkins (or indeed any acoustic blues player) any day.

David Gilmour - I'm sure everyone's already heard the joke about him and Eric Clapton being captured by cannibals in darkest Peru. Both guitarists are asked if they have any last requests before being eaten. Gilmour replies "could you please hand me my Fender Stratocaster so I can play 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' one moe time?" Clapton retorts with "Please eat me first".

Richie Blackmore - I hate Deep Purple. Compared to the Sabs and Zep, they always sounded like the runts of the litter to me. This seems especially pertinent when you consider that they started out by imitating Vanilla Fudge, a band who were never much cop in the first place.

Steve Vai. Okay, so he can play 5000 notes in 3 minutes. When I first discovered the joys of masturbation, I could come within that length of time, but I never attempted to make a bloody career out of it.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: KEEF RULES OK!!!
Feb 18, 2008, 20:57
Now that's more like it! Enjoyed that. ;-)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: overrated guitarists
Feb 18, 2008, 21:02
keith a wrote:

But I am surprised from what I know of your tastes that you don't like the Stones. Are you being wilfully perverse?

No, I am serious. I really do think Keefo is just recycling "riffs of black guys from the 50's and earlier" (I use "Check Berry" for shorthand, cuz he was the most obvious in this case.) And frankly I'm not really much of a fan of the old-timey 50's rock in the first place. So he's an imitation of stuff I don't care much about. (And the fact the Stones add disco & reggae later is just more cultural mooching.)

Also, as a musician, I have never understood guitar players going on and on about that guy. I think you "had to be there" in the 60's-70's (I don't know what younger folks' excuse is -- I mean, worship Hendrix or Thruston Moore or Helen Wiggin or anybody who was original! Why be a third-hand imitator?) See also IanB's comments below, which I agree with totally (and then some.)

As for all the "but Paint It Black was totally different" arguments -- that was Brian Jones obviously, as they stopped doing that sort of thing pretty much entirely after they kicked him out and got "bloozy" again.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index