Unsung Forum »
underrated guitarists

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: underrated guitarists
Nov 16, 2010, 09:39
Coz I tend to think of Julian Cope as charismatic rock front man and song writer, I do tend to overlook the fact that he's a pretty darn good multi-instrumentalist also.
I think Teenage Fanclub's Norman Blake is pretty underrated as a guitarist - his work with The Clouds, Boy Hairdressers, BMX Bandits etc goes back to the mid 80's C86 era, and could be said to have gone some way toward setting the musical agenda that was to follow a few years later - the same might also be said for the guy out of The Bodines (lets not forget Stone Roses were not the funky/baggy band we all kid our selves they were, but were in fact a sub c86 jangle pop group for most of their recorded output).
The Wolfhounds had a pretty good guitarist too. And That Petrol Emotion.And McCarthy made a good noise. Yes, the list could be endless, just from that rather maligned era of indie music.

A few have mentioned Will S of Bunnymen - and I have to concur, he was a big influence for me, although I don't know that he's underrated.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index