137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2008, 08:22
Re: underrated guitarists
Feb 16, 2008, 17:32
I don't think that Heep and the Banshees are mutually exclusive. Not unless we are 16 in 1977 and our trousers have narrowed overnight. They are just as ludicrous as each other and on their day just as brilliant.

I think my reaction to the Banshees album that night was more of a relief that we were going to finally get away from the tedium of the bands who couldn't get beyond the three chord Stooges thing. And worse still didn't even want to try. Can't remember who I was wacthing that night but I think it might have been The Jam. "This Is The Modern World"? The modern world in 1965.

The Scream sounded uniquely sinister and other-worldly, like an Otto Dix picture. My then girlfriend had this Dix poster on her bedroom wall and it spooked the bejesus out of me. I still think The Scream sounds like this picture.

http://www.gbposters.com/image/image/1091/product_shadow/MA020.jpg

Then again I was only 17 so there was a ton of music I hadn't heard yet that had that has that capacity to repel/enthrall. Female artists up to 1977 were more or less defined by the whole Joni, Linda, Carole King, Sandy, Maddy Prior thing. Nico was the only other woman I'd heard at the time who wasn't doing something very trad.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index