underrated guitarists

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: underrated guitarists
Feb 13, 2008, 17:52
postyesterdayman wrote:

Captain Sensible - (The Damned)...in my mind this guy should be mentioned in the same breath as any of the other classic guitar 'heroes'. He could, and still can, just kick some fucking ass on the guitar. The best example of his playing is still on the record 'Machine Gun Etiquette' especially on tracks like 'Plan 9 Channel 7' and 'Antipope'. Pretty great solo on what I think is his last recorded track with the band, 'Dead Beat Dance,' from the 'Return of the Living Dead' soundtrack).

Absolutely. There's loads of guitarists I could nominate here, but the Captain is the ultimate in under-rated. It seems if you make pained expressions whilst playing your solo you get recognised as a great guitarist, but if you pull a funny face whilst wearing a red beret nobody sees beyond that and takes you remotely seriously.

Shame. The Capt is a great guitarist. And a very decent songwriter, too.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 17:55
Spedding and Banks! Good calls both. Banks' playing on the Yes BBC sessions is really firey and his "Two Sides Of" record is excellent. There was a Spedding solo record that I really liked around 77 or 78. Can't remember what it was called.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2008, 17:58
Cap'n Crunch !!
Feb 13, 2008, 17:57
keith a wrote:
postyesterdayman wrote:

Captain Sensible - (The Damned)...

Absolutely.
The Capt is a great guitarist. And a very decent songwriter, too.

I agree too!

I also love his organ solo on The Damned's "I Just Can't Be Happy Today" - it's a real belter and one of my fave musical moments of all time!

;-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2008, 18:06
Feb 13, 2008, 18:03
IanB wrote:
Spedding and Banks! Good calls both. Banks' playing on the Yes BBC sessions is really firey and his "Two Sides Of" record is excellent. There was a Spedding solo record that I really liked around 77 or 78. Can't remember what it was called.

Is it "Guitar Graffiti" ??

I never had the album myself, but a mate of mine did, haven't heard it in 30 years, especially liked the tracks "Bored" ( I think that's the title) and "Frontal Lobotomy"
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 18:06
Moon Cat wrote:

I should also like to add Daniel Ash for his inventive noise malarky.

I thought he was good too, I especially like the sound on the Bauhaus track "Double Dare"
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Re: Cap'n Crunch !!
Feb 13, 2008, 18:30
That is a great organ solo, and as a matter of fact you have inspired me to go dig that one out of the mothballs (where it should never have been in the first place but I listened to that record so much between the ages of 16-18 that every single note is permanently ingrained in my brain). You know, while not as punk and 'guitar heroey' some of my favorite musical moments ever are from the Damned's criminally overlooked pop phase, where songs like 'Fun Factory', 'Disguise' and 'Under the Floor Again rose from the ashes of punk's corpse.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 19:15
Should also like to add - Alex Lifeson of Rush, mainly for his all round skills on electric, acoustic and as a songwriter and arranger.

And Huw LLoyd Langton, especially during his 2nd tenure in Hawkwind days. Melodic, spacey and aggressive as and when required.

And....you might think me mad...but Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac (latter day). Again, it's the all round capability that I like but I do think his lead and acoustic playing is underrated.

Have we had Will Sergeant yet?

Also, Nick McCabe of the Verve - at least when he's allowed to go for it like in the early Verve days.

Skip McDonald of Little Axe and Tackhead fame - funky and bluesey.

And what ever happened to....

Keziah Jones for his 'blu-funk' acoustic style. Only got the one album but I do like it!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 19:43
Moon Cat wrote:
Have we had Will Sergeant yet?

Good call Moonie, very underrated, probably one of the best out of the late 70s Liverpool players.

I like the fact that he also does solo experimental stuff too
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 19:46
Lawrence wrote:
Somebody forgot to mention Phil Manzanara...

Yeah !! He knew how to 'hold back'

I really like that album he did called "Primitive Guitars" - nothing groundbreaking about it- it's just very pleasant and relaxing.
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 20:15
Tim Smith (Cardiacs)

Malcolm Young

Eddie Hazell

Alex Lifeson

Donald Ross Skinner

Leigh Stevens (Blue Cheer)
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic