Unsung Forum »
underrated guitarists

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: underrated guitarists
Feb 13, 2008, 16:55
Ace Frehely - Limited yes, but in a good way. Plus he fires rockets!

Ernie Isley - liquid honey solos on the 70's funk stuff.

Mikel Akerfeldt from Opeth - Cos of his metali-prog skills and doing the frontman thing well too.

Joey Santiago - dynamic in the right places

Malcolm Young - AC/DC cos of the tight as a gnats chuff rhythm playing.

Vernon Reid - Living Colour. Also cos of his work outside Living Colour with things like the Yohimbe Bros.

Roland Chadwick - Aussie jazz, rock, folk bloke.

Nick Moroch - Lenny White Band. Jazz rock prog maestro
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 16:55
I'd say Elizabeth Cotten. Picks away creating lovely lilting porch melodies, and she's never precise with it, which I love.
Great vocal style too in that she hasn't got one! Full of bum notes etc.
Just something really warming about what she does.
x
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 17:09
A few might include
Steve Bartek - (Oingo Boingo, Strawberry Alarm Clock)...was a founding member of SAL but as he was 14 he couldn't tour and do the whole bit because of school, but he did write on a lot of their songs. His work on Oingo Boingo's records is pretty damned amazing, a very distinct style and a good dose of insanity in his playing, very controlled, polished insanity but insanity nonetheless).

Captain Sensible - (The Damned)...in my mind this guy should be mentioned in the same breath as any of the other classic guitar 'heroes'. He could, and still can, just kick some fucking ass on the guitar. The best example of his playing is still on the record 'Machine Gun Etiquette' especially on tracks like 'Plan 9 Channel 7' and 'Antipope'. Pretty great solo on what I think is his last recorded track with the band, 'Dead Beat Dance,' from the 'Return of the Living Dead' soundtrack).

Phil ? - (Six Finger Satellite)...I think his name was Phil something but I may be dead wrong. Anyways, this guy is one of my favorite guitarists ever...some people wrote his playing off as a Jesus Lizard rip-off but I say no way. Some of the fiercest, most brutal, scraping, gray, nasty, metallic guitar playing of all time. They started off very gimmicky, but fun (Severe Exposure) then put out a dark no/new wave record (Paranormalized) then put out a phenomenal big guitar record (Law of Ruins) that everyone should hear, really.

Donald Skinner - (Julian Cope)...I wish I could remember the name of the band he played in after his separation with Jules, I would really like to hear it. Does anyone remember? Anyways, his liquidy, fluid lead lines on Fried MADE that record...I mean, take any one element of that record away and it wouldn't be what it is, as Cope said, it was a 'serendipitous' moment, but I REALLY cannot imagine the record without Donneye's amazing leads (especially 'Laughing Boy', one of my all time favorites). His contributions on subsequent records (including great bass and drum skills) are all great. They guy is deffo underrated.

Duane Aslaksen - (Roky erickson and the Alens)...man, this guy is one of the best blues/rock lead guitarists ever...and I hate blues/rock, except when Roky does it. Roky is a great guitarist in his own right but when Duane joined him, man, it was electric and unstoppable...check out the 'Don't Slander Me' record.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 17:11
cHARLIE wrote:

... rOBYN hITCHCOck, robert sMith, Dan Treacy from the T.V. P.s ...

Hitch ... yes indeed! ... even though he cocked up TWICE during his performance on Later t'other week

Robert Smith ... whatever people think of his lyrics/make-up etc

Dan Treacy ... bless you for including him! Totally under-appreciated and over-looked artist.

I'd like to add:

Max Eider and Terry Bickers ... if only cause no-one else will

the former, I've stood mere feet infront of while he did his thing live on stage, staring intently at the fretboard and fingers and I still couldn't figure out how he does it ... even this behaviour didn't put him off

the latter ... especially for the lead work on live versions of 'Man To Child' which is about the prettiest and most delicate thing I ever heard
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 17:14
Terry Bickers! Nice one.

I should also like to add Daniel Ash for his inventive noise malarky.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2008, 17:19
Feb 13, 2008, 17:19
postyesterdayman wrote:
Donald Skinner - (Julian Cope)...I wish I could remember the name of the band he played in after his separation with Jules

Kiosk.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2008, 19:53
Feb 13, 2008, 17:27
Too many to mention really, but here's a few (IMHO) ...

MICK RONSON

A man who could make your heart twist inside out!
Good example- the playing on "Time" from Bowie's 'Aladdin Sane'.
He was also a very talented arranger and multi-instrumentalist.

PAUL LEARY

He was the icing on the Butthole cake.
I love the way he would sometimes do a blistering 'parody' of a typical 'rock guitar' solo in a completely different key and make it sound marvellous.
Everything he did with BS was excellent, especially the first four albums.

CHARLES BULLEN

Exraordinary twanger with This Heat
'Post Punk' well before the term was coined.
A perfect example of 'Angular'

PETER BANKS

The original guitarist with Yes

TED FALCONI

The unsung guitar presence with Flipper

GRAHAM COXON

Yes! Graham Coxon
Very clever guitarist indeed.

SACHA DISTEL

I'm with Clarky on this one, a great player as much as he was a grand crooner!

FRED FRITH

'Underrated' in the grand scheme of things.
I like the fact that he could always give the muso folk a run for their money and can also push the envelope with the avant-garde folks.

MICKEY JONES

As some have mentioned, together with Deke Leonard, they could tread the boards together doing the dual blues-tinged stuff, but could always stray into the psyche/experimental zone, especially in the early Man days.
It's very sad that he's now too ill to play onstage.

JOHN McGEOCH

In particular, his playing on The Banshees' "JuJu" album.

CHRIS SPEDDING

He played marvellous skewed lines with Ian Carr's Nucleus, recorded with Gilbert O'Sullivan (!), strutted in a leather jacket on Top Of The Pops, was a shadowy figure on the early british 'punk' scene...to name just a small amount of his activities.

KEITH LEVENE

The sound he had when he was with PiL, influenced so many other 'post-punk' guitarists that came later on.

ROBERT FRIPP

Ok, not 'underrated' as such, but forget about the sustain-o-rama that he's known for and get to hear the track "Suite Number 1" on the album 'The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp' from 1968-
He's only 21 on this recording and he sounds like a seasoned old cocktail-lounge lizard!

ADRIAN LEGG

Enjoy his playing for what it is - Genius!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsv44uiRzOY
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 17:30
Couldn't you have added another underrated guitarist to your list of worthy HH members - one that ends with Chaos and begins with Elegant?

sniff.....
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 17:32
I disagree - NOONE has ever rated Vini's singing!!!!!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 13, 2008, 17:36
It's there!
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index