Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sounder
Sounder
303 posts

Re: KEnneth HIgney
Jan 26, 2008, 10:01
might be worth checking out this site:

http://www.theunbrokencircle.co.uk/index_Menu.htm

havn;t looked at it in a while but from what i can remember you can listen to snippets of tracks. Got some of the bands on there that have been mentioned.
C
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Weird Beard Psychedelic Folk
Jan 26, 2008, 10:42
I forgot to mention Tim Buckley. Most of his stuff up to the layoff before Greetings From LA (where he goes funk) fits here. Unfortunately the only way to hear Starsailor in full is to find it 2nd hand or on a blog. Blue Afternoon has at least been reissued on vinyl (though I think I heard that a lot were warped).
Not sure if you can still get Lorca on cd but it was around for years while Starsailor wasn't. It's possibly his most out there set since it consists of long semi improvised tracks where Starsailor 's tracks are normally 4 or 5 minutes.
Happy Sad should be easily available and is sublime, the more commercial side of his folk-jazz experimentation. I think Blue Afternoon is better though.

The Morning Glory set is pretty well compiled though it avoids material actually from Lorca, substituting live versions from the Live At The Troubadour set & could pay more attention to Blue afternoon and Starsailor. Pretty good as an intrioduction though I think.

You could do worse than picking up the My Fleeting house dvd. though I find it pretty delusional that the compiler thought he could cut out ten minutes of the Boboquivari set which was a continuous performance regardless of what he says. I have a bootleg with the full set on, which was doing the rounds for years so don't succumb to revisionist blather.
Just a shame that it's unlikely that the full set will see the light of day in pristine form anytime soon.

Finally another great starting point would be the Dream Letter 2cd set live in London in '68. Again sublime despite the pick up nature of playing with an unfamiliar bassist in the shape of Danny Thompson who shines throughout.

The later funk era is possibly best listened to on live sets.
Most of the live archive is up at www.Timbuckley.org in MP3 form
Stevo
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2008, 20:49
Jan 26, 2008, 11:15
Kaleidoscope - "Side Trips", "A Beacon From Mars", "and Incredible Kaleidoscope". All charming, eclectic and utterly indispensible, especially the first two. They do the scariest cover of Scots folk standard "Greenwood Sidee" that I've ever heard. Meanwhile, for an 80s equivalent, check out the early Camper Van Beethoven albums on Rough Trade.

Also, you could try out Dr. Strangely Strange's "Kip Of The Serenes" if you can find it. Be warned, though, the CD version is mastered at the wrong speed (at least a tone too slow apparently, although I've never heard the vinyl version so that didn't put me off"). I managed to speed it back again by putting it through the Wavelab mastering unit that came with my edition of Cubase.

Then there's the "Wicker Man" soundtrack...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2008, 15:19
Michael Hurley & The Holy Modal Rounders
Jan 26, 2008, 15:16
Michael Hurley, aka Doc Snock, Snocko, Elwood, etc. is an old guy living out in Oregon these days who's crisscrossed the USA countless times, found an audience in Europe, and thru it all remained the quintessential lo-fi hobo troubadour. He's a walking treasure of original material, but will also do covers, from a huge backlist of Americana ranging from the blues to folk to country to rock n' roll.

He's got plenty of weird songs to check out.. Most people will recognize 'The Werewolf' which Cat Power covered, among others.. haunting, deeply meloncholic and tragic but gripping song. He's got songs where he imitates crows, songs about being an ancient vampire ('The Revenant'), and plenty of humorous sing alongs, roadhouse rockers, tender ballads, you name it. It's all carried out in his signature style, very laid back, the melodies ageless.

He's also a painter and makes his own comics, starring Boone and Jocko (who are wolves) and an assortment of hootchie-mamas having drunken adventures in some alternate universe of piefaced moons and smuggler's lagoons. Many of Hurley's covers feature this world.

His site: http://www.snockonews.net/
Just google 'Michael Hurley' to find a great deal of other material on him... there's an assortment of fansites and such.

He's a contemporary and sometime collaborator with the Holy Modal Rounders, who are a big recommendation as well. They all, plus Jeffery Fredricks and the Clamtones, put out a fantastic album called 'Have Moicy!' and credited to the 'Unholy Modal Rounders' in the seventies. A MUST HAVE. It'll make you want to take your shoes off, light up, open a jug of wine, and smile back at the universe... just absolutely right in every way... songs about having a hoodoo bash with a pound of hash, robbin' banks, stealin' chickens, getting drunk, and other Bucks County, Pennsylvania pursuits (where Hurley and Steve Weber from the Rounders grew up together)
Weber apparently is online as the Rounders, but it looks like he's got some sort of spat going with Pete Stampfel, the other half.
http://www.holymodalrounders.com/

If you really want to know about the Holy Modal Rounders, get their first two albums (sold as a two-CD set ) and then check into some of their later stuff. (The Fuggs 1st album is another yougottahaveit)
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 26, 2008, 20:37
Tim Buckley? As good a singer as son Jeff, and probably better, and the material was stronger too. Always though Grace was overrated.

Anyway, good call Stevo
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index