Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2008, 16:43
Electric Ladyland/ White Album
Jan 17, 2008, 16:12
Both these albums were released late 68 for Christmas. Both very ambitious double albums with a wide swath of genres.

The Beatles were retrenching and fragmenting at the same time.

Ladyland was pushing the technology further than anyone had before, very masterful use of panning, phasing, stereo, editing, tape reversal, etc

Both included a very ambitious experimental piece: Revolution#9 and 1983... A Mermaid I Should Be. Neither tune get much airplay.

The Beatles' White Album enjoys a broader public acceptance, yet Ladyland pushed music sonics to a level we take for granted today.

Still both albums sound fresh. And in '68 these were great riches to first hear.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: Electric Ladyland/ White Album
Jan 17, 2008, 16:57
Agreed, especially if you had a full fidelty sound system and not a suitcase record player... back in the day.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 01:00
I like both of these records a lot.

Electric Ladyland is the eye above the pyramid that is my favorite double-albums: Blonde On Blonde, VU Live 1969, Exile On Main Street, with an affectionate wink for Physical Graffiti. I don't play any of these frequently, I have to be ready to go all the way with each disc's individual trip.

White Album doesn't quite make the cut, only because there are a few tracks on it which I regularly skip. However, I therefore play at least bits of it more often than any of the albums listed above. Contains my favorite Beatles-ness to be sure.

For single discs, by the way, I like 'Axis: Bold As Love,' Royal Trux' 'Thank You,' Tim Buckley's 'Blue Afternoon,' 'Highway 61 Revisited,' 'Let It Bleed,' 'Fred Neil,' oh, lot's of things...
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 11:40
How many people did the Manson Family kill as a result of heavy rotation of Electric Ladyland?
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 11:52
embryonomore wrote:
How many people did the Manson Family kill as a result of heavy rotation of Electric Ladyland?

Dunno...I thought his excuse was the message in Helter Skelter from the White album.....
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 12:01
I think that may have been his point.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 12:06
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
I think that may have been his point.

I gotta have my coffee, Thick-head in the A.M. Thanks...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 12:18
Both albums represented the popular height of 60's psychedelia, and heralded the gruesome demise of the flower power scene at the same time.
A nod to Macca...'Helter Skelter' is still one of the most skull-crushing tracks ever recorded. It's hard to imagine that the same guy who created that bunker-busting bass line/throat-shredding screamed vocal is the same guy who sings 'Honey Pie'.
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 12:34
It was my point, yes.

I've recently become quite fascinated by the whole Manson Family thing. I've aquired almost all of his recordings, read Helter Skelter and I've put the White Album on rotation quite a few times but I still don't hear what Charlie heard...

Is that normal?

I'm worried that I may be lacking the requisite faculties to make a good self styled guru...
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 18, 2008, 12:46
handofdave wrote:
Both albums represented the popular height of 60's psychedelia, and heralded the gruesome demise of the flower power scene at the same time.
A nod to Macca...'Helter Skelter' is still one of the most skull-crushing tracks ever recorded. It's hard to imagine that the same guy who created that bunker-busting bass line/throat-shredding screamed vocal is the same guy who sings 'Honey Pie'.

Harrison's guitar work on Skelter was absolutely Heavy as it got for that era. By the by, Voodoo Chile slight return from Electric Ladyland formed the template for Stevie ray Vaughn's guitar playing style along with Lonnie Mack's early stuff. Hendrix was a bad Mother Hubber. Recall great day's late seventies cruisin' around with buddies in a 64 impala rag roof listenin to 'Are you experianced' and the Stone's "More hot rocks big hits and fazed cookies" on the 8 track Whilst simultaneously High-Low- and sideways on whatever elicits we could score. Was there ever a more sublime track than '2000 light years from home' on stereo?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index