28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2008, 00:43
Re: You Are Not Allowed To Play Zappa
Jan 18, 2008, 00:36
Well, Zappa was always very big on protecting the rights to his music (he's one of the only rockers who actually owned his recordings as well as the composing rights -- except for the 200 Motels soundtrack, which due to the movie connection is owned by Warner Bros.)

And obviously he bequeathed it to his "family trust", which is presumably run by Gail, so I guess she really is keeping on his tradition. (Perhaps moreso than Dweezil, who frankly needs to get a life. He's a good enough musician to do his own thing.)

See it from the Zappa Family Trust perspective: it's the family business, it's probably all they've got in a sense (I doubt Frank had a lot of cash when he died, just a lot of tapes and music equipment.) With CD sales declining and all that, it could be kind of a big deal for a mom & pop operation (now that pop isn't around to make new product & tour.)

I had no idea there were so many Zappa tribute bands! Maybe it's more of a European thing? I've heard the occasional cover in a bar, but not often. Literally never heard of anyone doing it full time.

I also noticed they're pretty militant about getting Youtube to take down unauthorized Zappa video.

But this thread shows that obviously this type of attitude doesn't go over well with the "fans" (and non-fans will just start piling on, as happened with Metallica -- and Zappa's got no shortage of haters!)

If Gail wanted to do something really clever with all that tape she must be sitting on, she might try to figure out how to steal a page from Radiohead . . . give something away "free" as an entre to selling some fancy-schmancy expensive fan product.

(I think the ZPZ tour is as much about promoting Zappa and moving the catalog as it is about keeping Dweez employed.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index