Rolling Stone Magazine 40 Years Searchable Archive CD-Rom

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Jan 11, 2008, 16:48
Rolling Stone Magazine 40 Years Searchable Archive CD-Rom
Jan 10, 2008, 14:27
I have really been enjoying this, the past week or so. It collects every issue from 1967 thru 2007.

I have been mostly reading 1967 thru 1972. It is a throve of forgotten bands ads and reviews, definitely some crate digging to come.

Hendrix, Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Traffic, etc are dealt with in an everyday kinda way, they thought these bands would last forever.

Guitar, amp , and keyboard companies advertised heavily, now adays that is pretty rare. LOts of stereo equipment ads.

You get a context for what was going on, and classic blues, folk, and jazz artists were still releasing albums and vying for the same attention as Beatles, Stones, Dylan, etc.

These digital editions also have been done for the New Yorker, and 1950's Playboy. Every mag should be collected in this fashion.
philiph20
80 posts

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine CD-Rom
Jan 10, 2008, 15:15
Sounds great , how do i get it?.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2008, 15:23
Jan 10, 2008, 15:22
Both Amazon.com and uk have it as well as any major or indie book store
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 11, 2008, 18:32
http://www.covertocover.com/item_rs1_rollingstone

Here is the official website.
philiph20
80 posts

Jan 11, 2008, 19:53
Sounds great but i'm too stingy and poor to afford it :-( , maybe someone will put it up on a blogspot or soemthing if that's possible.
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine 40 Years Searchable Archive CD-Rom
Jan 11, 2008, 21:25
I got this for Xmas...had been waiting for it since I read about it back in April '07. Like you, I much prefer the early years. I have some ancient issues I've collected over the years...brittle and ready to fall apart at the slightest touch. Cue Homer Simpson's voice, "Well, I can just throw those away now!"

How interesting and sad it is that the magazine so steadily changes as the years progress. The early years are really bizarre. There's even this weird 7-part serial called "Fuzz vs the Junk," or something to that effect, an underground comic (reprinted from a 1959 publication) that ran in a few of the 1969 issues. You also have my favorite reviewer, JR Young, turning in short stories in the guise of reviews (his epic "review" for CSN&Y's Deja Vu is my favorite).
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 12, 2008, 17:33
Yes, in the early years it definitely has the look and feel of a fanzine.

Very interesting columns by Ralph Gleason 'father of FM radio'

Miles On the Corner got a good review.

Interesting also is the discussion of the Detroit scene:'fans are great, not sure about the bands" actually coming from Lester Bangs.

Also interesting duelling retractions of records reviews, if some one panned it one week, the nextweek they will have someone else it praise it.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2008, 23:34
Feb 05, 2008, 23:10
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=rolling+stone+40&z=y

GREAT BUY $25.00

Oh yeah on the same site is Playboy 50's cd-rom set for $25.00
Unsung Forum Index