Unsung Forum »
Ziggy Stardust The Movie

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Ziggy Stardust The Movie
Jan 07, 2008, 13:15
The DA Pennebraker film of the final Bowie gig as Ziggy is being repeated on BBC4 next friday. I think this ties in with the 2nd part of Pop BRitannia which will also be on that night.
Not having access to freeview in either of the places I've been hanging out in London I didn't see the 1st episode yet. Think the Guardian said it was ok after it was disappointed by Dance Britannia.
Stevo
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2008, 06:40
Re: Ziggy Stardust The Movie
Jan 08, 2008, 06:40
I saw it a couple of years ago and thought it was excellent visually, but paled sonically in comparison to the "Live In Santa Monica 1972" CD from the same tour. This seemed mainly down to Mick Ronson's guitar being mixed so low as to be virtually inaudible.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 08, 2008, 12:57
I have the soundtrack cd and think the guitar is reasonably audible on it. Haven't actually listened in quite a while but do remember noticeable lead guitar verging on the metal.
Coincidentally have the '73 Carnegie Hall set on in the background right now.
Stevo
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jan 08, 2008, 14:29
Popel Vooje wrote:
....paled sonically in comparison to the "Live In Santa Monica 1972" CD from the same tour. This seemed mainly down to Mick Ronson's guitar being mixed so low as to be virtually inaudible.

I'd agree. Santa Monica has far more dynamic. Always thought the Ziggy movie was a bit over-rated myself. The colour of the film always seemed a bit...dull, even with the remastering. Or maybe that's just the 70's seeping through. There's a lot of brown......
Shame Santa Monica wasn't filmed really.
Mr Tron
17 posts

Jan 12, 2008, 18:24
I agree that the Santa Monica is far superior but I don't think that it was the same tour as Ziggy Stardust the Motion Picture which was recorded on the Aladdin Sane Tour.
Unsung Forum Index