Unsung Forum »
Deuter

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Deuter
Jan 04, 2008, 21:46
He seems to be concurrent with a lot of the classic Komische, but is he too new agey? Are the first few worth checking out? What is Maschine No.9?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Deuter
Jan 04, 2008, 22:04
I only have the "D" album from 1971 -- it's good mellow kosmische.

I have read the later stuff it very "new age", but can't speak from experience.
phallus dei
583 posts

Jan 05, 2008, 13:19
"D" is great, definitely worth getting for a krautrock fan. "Aum" is very good, though more mellow and nature-inspired. "Celebration" is also nice, probably worth getting if you like the first two, though it does have some clear "new age" tendencies. The one after "Celebration,", can't remember the name, sounded to me like mellow world music the one time I heard it and I didn't like it.
Haven't heard anything else.
phallus dei
583 posts

Jan 05, 2008, 13:23
On second thought, I should clarify my statement and say "D" is MOSTLY great, there is a ten minute long sitar piece that does nothing for me. But the other 30-some minutes are pretty awesome, prime level krautrock.
Father Sky
Father Sky
323 posts

Jan 05, 2008, 16:39
The only Deuter I have is called Catalogue (Library Recording), which is a collection of short varied instrumentals, enjoyable but nothing special.
Adman
Adman
157 posts

Jan 05, 2008, 18:34
I have had "D" and "Aum" for a long time and have enjoyed both. I was put off venturing any further by the "New Age" accusations. However, a couple of months ago I got "Celebration" and found this to be a stunning listen - particularly good on headphones.
gogmagog
176 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2008, 11:28
Jan 05, 2008, 19:38
Haleakala follows Celebration and is pretty much in the same vein. In my opinion: D and especially Aum are worth getting. In fact, I'd go as far to say Aum, in particular, is something of a lost classic within the field.

The late seventies/early eighties stuff: Celebration, Haleakala, Ecstasy and Silence is the Answer/Buddham Sharnam Gachchami are, indeed, touch and go - but do have isolated moments within them as good as any mid-70s Popol Vuh or Between. That said, you might wanna listen before buying, and the later eighties and nineties stuff does verge into very bland new-age slop.

A band similar in stature but much more reliable and noteworthy is Between (featuring Peter Michael Hamel of Agitation Free).

And the waters opened, Contemplation and Dharana by Between are all stone classics IMHO.

One to avoid IMO is Between Hesse Music - a set of Hesse readings put to music by Between.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 07, 2008, 18:47
Thanks everyone! Any info on Maschine No. 9?
Unsung Forum Index