Pink Floyd '69 '70 '71

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Pink Floyd '69 '70 '71
Dec 20, 2007, 18:11
Ha! I'll have to remember that one . . .
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 18:25
So then it's not so much a question of "what happened at the time" but "how I personally discovered it" . . . I suppose Floyd is more likely than most to be an introduction to "weird avant" sounds for new listeners these days.

Personally, for me I heard "Revolution #9" first (young teen), and then 60's Zappa before early Floyd (late teen / college years.)

I actually used to record Rev#9-esque things in high school, playing around with a 4-track and turntables they had there. I can't imagine what else I would have heard at the time that would have inspired such experiments (aside from movie soundtracks; indeed the goal was to create horror music for a video-movie project.) Anyway, I certainly didn't believe I was doing anything that hadn't been done already by famous musicians decades earlier.

That's the times we live in though isn't it? The last 100 years' worth of culture at everybody's fingertips; the only "contemporary" culture is a collage of styles from decades past.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Dec 29, 2007, 04:23
I once had an audience with Malcolm Jones, who was the graduate who brought Harvest to EMI, he did have a tape of the Floyd concert that was used to create the live sides of Ummagumma, and even claimed that it was located under his bed. Jones has died, his record collection and copies of Molesworth by searle and willans have been no doubt distributed to the 4 winds, but I rue the day that I didn't push him to reveal the tape.

The 1969 EMI poster for Ummagumma was an eye-opener, Hipgnosis got their scissors and glue out, and recreated the LP sleeve, but in reverse, so the least figure on LP RW, now overwhelms the foreground. I managed to get hold of that
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 29, 2007, 18:43
I'll probably get shot in the knackers for this but maybe one could argue that, despite it's familarity and ubiquity in the now, Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was, in it's own way, a pretty bonkers song to get any air play, let alone make it to No.1 for ages. See also Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights".

I mean I can remember the initital "What the fuck was that" response upon hearing them even as a mere yoof.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index