ELVIS

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

BINGLE
Dec 20, 2007, 00:41
But how many units will Bing sell in the next 50 years compared to Sinatra or Elvis?

Again, it's not something I can quite put my finger on, but I don't think he's a "POP" star. Not referring to how many records he sold at the time (Kate Smith and Caruso sold boatloads too), but the music itself.

Bing's music is pre-modern. His style and recordings will never come back into vogue, any more than 15th century Italian madrigals would. The paradigm shifted somewhere between Bing and Frank I guess. Sinatra is "modern" somehow; people still relate to his style & music. (Miles Davis even cited him as a primary influence!!)

Ever heard Bing's versions of rock songs from the 60's btw? Peeee-uuuuuuu! Frank's rock songs from the time don't "rock" either, but at least they don't make you laugh / cringe!

I'm not so much "arguing against anyone" here, but trying to delineate what it is that makes a "pop star" in the "modern" sense. What exactly it was that Elvis (or Frank) had that wasn't there before (Bing may have had exposure and record distribution, but he didn't have "IT" -- whatever it is!)

Unsung Forum Index