20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Rock's Greatest Improvisers
Dec 18, 2007, 22:03
Dog 3000 wrote:
Zappa as "director on stage" was always part of their dynamic, most obviously on the "Ahead of Their Time" CD where he's literally directing a "play" on stage dressed like an old-time movie producer complete with megaphone.

The liner notes/libretto to "Civilization Phaze III" also describe action to be performed on stage during the music, and there is a character "FZ" who stands at the top of the stage periodically giving orders through a megaphone! Since he was dying as he composed it, apparently he intended for some actor to wear a costume as this character (I picture a "foam rubber giant nose & moustache" outfit!)

5 sez:
nice

quote="Dog 3000"]I think his basic metaphor was "composer = creator = god", since of course for him "music = the whole universe".[/quote]

5 sez: not a bad metaphor as they go, I just picked up a book along those lines called The Mysticism Of Sound And Music, The Sufi Teaching of Hazrat Inayat Khan, he says after a point in his musical studies, every person became a note and so forth... I think I have been there, maybe whenever I have the time and space to really be

Unsung Forum Index