20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2007, 18:12
Re: Rock's Greatest Improvisers
Dec 17, 2007, 18:05
I have to agree that there's very little "improvisation" in any of those proggy bands you mention -- just cuz VDGG has a sax player doesn't mean everything wasn't composed beforehand.

Zappa did improvise a lot, but in a very structured "big band jazz" way (soloists taking turns in the spotlight.) So I'm not sure that counts either!

[Zappa digression: in JRS Cope compares Kimio Mizutani's "A Path Through Haze" to "Hot Rats", which I totally do not get. He called Rats a "supersession album", which it's not -- in fact Rats was the FIRST 16-track recording ever released. It's INSANELY detailed & composed, with Ian Underwood overdubbing as many as a dozen parts per song, and every bar arranged & overseen by FZ. Not much "improvising" there!!]

An individual's ability to solo, and the fact that the rest of the band can keep a riff going indefinitely (ala Cream) does not "improvisation" make. That's called "wanking", something completely different! Any 15 ninute version of "Spoonful" is pretty predictably the same as every other version -- the fact Clapton plays his canned licks in a different order each night doesn't really make it "improvised."

Other than The Dead and a few others (well, the whole "jam band movement" really) I don't think there is much "improvisation" in rock generally, at least not since the first half of the 70's. The key here is, the GROUP is improvising, not just providing a framework for a soloist to show off in.

You want true improv rock, try Nihilist Spasm Band or The Godz first record!

Unsung Forum Index