20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2007, 19:15
Re: Rock's Greatest Improvisers
Dec 16, 2007, 19:06
Are we are distinguishing between group improvisation and creative soloing within a solid framework?

Personally I think of improvisation being mainly a jazz and folk thing and also coming somtimes from classically influenced players with a baroque rather than romantic foundation.

On that basis I'd probably take Yes and Gentle Giant out of that list. Not because I don't like them (I like them a lot) but because their music was very tightly arranged. A Steve Howe solo / cadenza would change from night to night but the material was stucturally more classical than jazz so overall quite predictable for players and audience alike.

I'd have to include Can in your list judging by their live recordings. And The Pop Group / Rip Rig & Panic / Slits collective.

Coming to the present day I'd also add Mars Volta as every show I've seen / heard has offered something different from common take-off points though I don''t know how they will fare without Jon Theodore. And in the same vein Mahavishnu Orchestra deserve a mention. As do the Fairports when Swarb and Richard Thompson were in their pomp and Mattacks was driving the thing with his unique jazz/ folk playing.

My final entrant would be the John Martyn trio with Danny Thompson and John Stevens. Live At Leeds has some amazing explorations. Space folk rock.

Unsung Forum Index