Tangerine Dream: Phaedra. Rubycon.Ricochet.Stratosfear.Encore

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2606 posts

Re: Tangerine Dream: Phaedra. Rubycon.Ricochet.Stratosfear.Encore
Dec 16, 2007, 23:54
Not being as pre-emptively cool as The Drude, my first exposure to Tangerine Dream was via these early Virgin epics. I didn't get to hear 'Alpha Centauri', 'Zeit' or 'Atem' until their 1976 Virgin releases (I wonder why Virgin never issued 'Electronic Meditation' as well?) by which time I was well under the spell of the sequencers of 'Phaedra', 'Rubycon' and 'Ricochet'.

To my ears, then and now, the Virgin albums are the ones I reach for first when I fancy a slice of prime Tangs, much as I love those earlier Ohr-originated records. Comparatively accessible they may be, but 'Phaedra' and 'Rubycon' are still far out records, make no mistake. And there'd have been no Jean Michel Jarre or Donna Summer/Georgio Moroder chart entries without their influence.

As regards 'Cyclone', it contains my all-time favourite Tangerine Dream track in 'Bent Cold Sidewalk' which, uniquely in the Tangs' 1970's oeuvre, is a SONG. It's a progtastic trip of the highest order and I adore it. The Shakespearean vocalising towards the end of the central sequenced section sets the hairs on the nape of my neck on edge every time I hear it. Awesome.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index