Unsung Forum »
Define Freakbeat

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Define Freakbeat
Dec 12, 2007, 20:45
I usually look at Freakbeat as happening between late 1965 to early 1967.
It is the end of the Beat era right before full blown Pysch.

It is beginning of feedback and fuzzboxes and studio trickery.
MC
638 posts

Re: Define Freakbeat
Dec 12, 2007, 20:51
Gonks Go Beat? Graham Bond was in that, not sure if it's freakbeat though.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 21:21
Always thought it was basically UK garage rock. Direct analogy with same influences. The second generation after beat , that is to say the lesser known stuff influenced by the more successful UK/Brit invasion bands. I think the freak part had to do with studio/drug experimentation though live experimentation probably had as much to do with it. Like feedback sneaking into the equation etc. (&that might have more to do with what one's doing onstage?).
Like freak because things started getting a bit weird which one would assume was down to drug usage.
Stevo
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 22:01
zphage wrote:
I usually look at Freakbeat as happening between late 1965 to early 1967.
It is the end of the Beat era right before full blown Pysch.

It is beginning of feedback and fuzzboxes and studio trickery.

Phasing and compression too: I guess it's a cross between the mod/r'n'b sound and Joe Meek-type studio experimentation. Too tough for psychedelia, too flash for r'n'b. 1966-7. The Wimple Winch. :-)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 13, 2007, 02:54
Also a factor seems to be UK was a singles driven market, the major labels of the day were very willing to take chance on a band for a few singles and go for a national hit.

Whereas in the US at the time regional labels were still viable, and a garage band could go regional but rarely national. The majors were not as atuned to the local scenes as the UK being more compact a major was much more in touch, plus the power of MM, NME, Record Mirror, Sounds(?)
Unsung Forum Index