Unsung Forum »
Very British

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3679 posts

Re: Very British
Dec 11, 2007, 21:28
But I guess I'm not sure how their popularity in America was responsible for the decline in musical ferocity -- if they'd been less popular in America, would that have made their music better? Wouldn't it have been more likely that they'd break up the band and move on to other things (not being able to earn much of a living based on playing local pubs and football fields in the UK?)

As i see it American success and the huge bucks involved gave Daltrey, Moon & Entwistle the leverage to tell Townshend to quit with the arty stuff and get on with being a rock n roll band. Daltrey knew that Townshend needed him to beef up his ideas and that Townshend needed a successful Who to payroll his ideas, Moon hated Quadrophenia because it cramped his style, they all wanted the cash to drink, smoke , snort to levels they were accustomed too

On the other hand all 3 knew without Townshend they were fucked, hence no band break up, compromise reached, after 74 they were still a monumental live act, but a compromised one.

I don't think the music suffered, but i thinkthe live shows did.
The music went tits up when Townshend spread himself too thinly over various solo and Who albums. After Moon died it didn't really matter.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index