Unsung Forum »
Faust Box or This Heat box

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Faust Box or This Heat box
Dec 06, 2007, 05:01
Recommended Records has TWO great boxes: Faust 'Wumme Years' and This Heat 'Out Of Cold Storage"

Anyone have these, like them, hate them. Any feedback appreciated.
Big Ed
Big Ed
110 posts

Re: Faust Box or This Heat box
Dec 06, 2007, 11:33
Hi Zphage

I have the This Heat box. Beautiful produced sound, nicely packaged. Your decision is down to whether you like the band. The box may be cheaper from RER US. I know RER Megacorp UK were selling the box minus the first disc (Blue and Yellow) so you could always try it first and then complete with the box. Might be worth dropping them a line.

FYI, RER UK are also selling audiophile vinyl versions. http://www.rermegacorp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv? Just scroll down.

Hope that helps
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 12:23
What sort of price is the This Heat box? It sounds v. interesting.

I've got the Faust box, and I really like it btw. Probably only worth it if you don't already own any/many of their CDs already though, I guess.
Big Ed
Big Ed
110 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 12:32
Think the Out of Cold Storage cd box set (UK) is about £47 for six cds and book. There's a fancy Japanese version for about £100, if you have deep pockets!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 15:47
Thanks, guys!

I only have Faust vinyl, and I have come back to appreciating their avant-whimsy.

I have This Heat on vinyl and cd, but not all their stuff. They are not as carefree as Faust, but they have a certain zeitgeist. I am wary because a lot of postpunk has not aged well. I realize they stood apart, but did reflect the times...
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 19:10
It's gotta be This Heat for me, I listen to it much more than I do Faust (although I only have the first few Faust albums not the box).
The "Out Of Cold Storage" box is worth every penny - great music, lovely package.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 23:35
Big Ed wrote:
I know RER Megacorp UK were selling the box minus the first disc (Blue and Yellow) so you could always try it first and then complete with the box. Might be worth dropping them a line.

i think the point with that was they had the 1st lp ready for release before the rest so they'd send you the 1st one then the box later.
Since this was released early last year, is the box without the 1st disc still available?
Big Ed
Big Ed
110 posts

Dec 07, 2007, 08:54
i think the point with that was they had the 1st lp ready for release before the rest so they'd send you the 1st one then the box later.
Since this was released early last year, is the box without the 1st disc still available?

Good point. They still have it catalogued that way. but it might not make sense now. Any one wanting to try that route could always drop them an email.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Dec 08, 2007, 04:44
Faust.
This Heat had two or three decent instrumentals, but their vocals are horrible and they were nowhere near as original or influential or funny or profound or grooving or heavy or as rewarding and fun to listen to today or ever as Faust.
Unsung Forum Index