"Pete Seeger: The Power of Song"

9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Protest songs
Dec 05, 2007, 13:10
Yes, you're right... that wouldn't ever, ever, in a million years make it past the management of any radio station.

But in the case of that particular ditty, I'd have to agree... it's frank and holds nothing back, but wouldn't achieve its objective of turning opinion against the war. It would more likely turn opinions against the war protesters, or at least the band playing it.

Nobody, and I include the right wing here, is sympathetic to the character this song portrays... yes, there are psychopaths in the military, who join 'just to see someone blow up', but most of the troops didn't enlist for that reason... they joined in many cases before Bush screwed them over and dumped them into an impossible situation, simply because the military offered them employment, an education, a way out of dead-end lives in impoverished parts of the country (yes, I realize the irony is rich here).

Were these boys and girls 'suckers' for enlisting? Probably, but to my mind the brunt of the criticism needs to go where the criminal intent originated.. at the top, with all the scum politicians who planned or allowed the invasion to happen. That includes the bulk of the Democrats, who were the lazy fuckers who gave Bush a blank check out of fear of looking 'soft'.

Unsung Forum Index