Pete Townshend's Lifehouse

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Pete Townshend's Lifehouse
Nov 30, 2007, 01:13
Been on a Who kick lately. Intrigued by Townshend's 6cd Lifehouse Chronicles. Has anyone heard this? Are the performances from 70's or much later? Is this cohesive?
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Pete Townshend's Lifehouse
Nov 30, 2007, 07:13
zphage wrote:
Been on a Who kick lately. Intrigued by Townshend's 6cd Lifehouse Chronicles. Has anyone heard this? Are the performances from 70's or much later? Is this cohesive?

I only heard a little bit, but what I heard sounded good

I read somewhere they were from around 1971, but had been remastered

Not much info zphage- but hope you find out more and let it be known on here

;-)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 08:47
http://www.eelpie.com/shop/index.cfm?p=boxsets

click on more info for track listing

2 cds are the radio show, can't say i give them much listening

but the other 4 cds are brilliant if you are a Who fan, the early demoes of the wibbly synth sounds are wonderful

It's pricey, and i'd only recommend it to fans but if you have any interest in the Who it's worth a punt

cd1/2 original demoes

cd3 71 demoes and live 98 stuff which is surprisingly good

cd4 lifehouse arrangements and orchestrations-probably listen to this one the most-it's full of wibbly synth a la Baba O'Riley intro

cd5/6 radio show from bbc
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 09:26
I bought box five years ago ago maybe. Nice but not essential.

The play and the synclavier classical pieces are dispensible but the demos with PT singing are great especially if you prferer his reedy singing to Rog's bellow.

There was actually a one disc verison called "Elements" which has much of what you could possibly need unless you are a Who completist.
gogmagog
176 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 10:48
I remember listening to the radio broadcast of the play and felling a little let down. No idea about the 1971 material though.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 12:13
machineryelf wrote:

cd4 lifehouse arrangements and orchestrations-probably listen to this one the most-it's full of wibbly synth a la Baba O'Riley intro

Them are the bits I've heard

Oh that vcs3 !!!!!

The man who put a bit of Terry Riley into 'rock' music ;-)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 14:30
Thanks, everyone for the feedback.
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 17:08
I was a massive Who fan when I was 15, seventeen (gulp!) years ago. Hearing those Lifehouse demos...well, it's fantastic, like hearing some mad genius in his home studio covering a Who album we all know and love. Plus it has this experimental bent that's lacking from the well-known versions. If this thing had been released by some obscure solo artist it would be legendary.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 17:30
Are these demoes the same as the ones released with the two 'Who's Next' remasters?
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 18:06
I don't know...I never got that Who's Next 2CD. I'm going to assume they probably are. They're all "full band" demos, not just Townshend on acoustic guitar. Him playing all the instruments, singing, etc. It's a wonder he didn't just release this whole thing under his own name, back when the Lifehouse project with the Who fell through. It's all very, very good. Plus, as I said, it has this "outsider" ethic...like the Happy Dragon Band covering the Who, or something.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index