Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Dec 01, 2007, 21:46
7 Years OR 7 album Theory
Nov 29, 2007, 20:23
I have had a pet theory that most bands' peak work fits into 7 years or 7 albums whatever takes longer: Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep, Jam, Clash, etc

Agree? Disagree? Pros/Cons?
MC
638 posts

Re: 7 Year/7 album Theory
Nov 29, 2007, 21:05
Acid Mothers Temple 777 albums in 7 years
riotmaster
1563 posts

Nov 29, 2007, 22:22
AC/DC, High Voltage to Back In Black

7 classics in a row
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 05:00
I used to have a friend with sort of the same theory, only it was "3 good albums".

I do have a theory that American bands tend to have shorter lifespans than British (or Australian) though. (Not necessarily solo artists, which is often as much about "celebrity" as music and yanks tend to do that really well.)

For every Grateful Dead or Parliament-Funkadelic that lasted 15+ years there's a whole lot of Velvet Undergrounds and Blue Cheers and Stooges that burned brightly but came and went in 3 or 4 years.

Hard to find US equivalents of your Stones, Floyd, Zep, Who (or AC/DC) "classic timeless supergroups."
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 07:14
MC wrote:
Acid Mothers Temple 777 albums in 7 years

LOL!

....and counting! ;-D
machineryelf
3679 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 08:53
I'll think you'll find that's 6 classics and ''Back In Black''

another great theory shot down in flames
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 09:11
Not so many artists with a 7-good-album back catalog (not few in number maybe, but few as a % of all artists) - though not as rare as those with more than 7, you're right!

Did the clash & the jam really release 7 good albums? Do you mean between them?

From my glass half-empty world view, a lot of bands fail to better their debut LP, and the vast majority of best work tends to be on 1st 3 albums.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 09:55
nah. its 7 inc Back In Black actually. would've been 8 if FTATR hadn't slipped in before Flick

although you could of course do a 7 Bon era run too, if you can stomach the Oz High Voltage :-)
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 11:24
Eduardo wrote:
From my glass half-empty world view, a lot of bands fail to better their debut LP, and the vast majority of best work tends to be on 1st 3 albums.

I reckon I agree with that for the most part. The first album thing is probably as most (proper) bands will have been going for a year or three before they get a deal so will have a fair bit of material to choose the best tracks from for their first album and have had time to hone it as well as they can. I think it can be a bit of a tragedy for those who get picked up a little too soon, before they're really ready.

The second album often has some of the older tracks that didn't make it to the first album ... after that I guess it's usually just what they've come up with in the last year.

The exceptions prove the rule ... those who manage to make it past that tricky third album and develop beyond their early sound without losing their distinction ... sometimes you get that awkward transitional album.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 14:20
I reckon the Stones were on number 14 or 15 before it started to go wonky.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index