Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What do you truly remember from childhood?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Re: What do you truly remember from childhood?
Nov 20, 2007, 11:33
Always remember going to the fairground in South Shields as a kid around may bank holiday in the mid 70's (usually with the contents of a copper jar saved for a whole year by my uncle) and the memory that stands out were the rides being painted with really bold pictures of the like of Bowie (Aladdin Sane style), Elton John and Stevie Wonder etc. Not been back there for years but I'm expecting they'd have been replaced many times over and would probably have something like Britney/Kylie/Girls Aloud/50 Cent on now.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:44
[Eating cockles in Plymouth Market with my larger than life Grandad]

Heh! I can go one better - we used to go winkle picking on the sand spit at Selsey Bill, and take a bucket full of cockles, winkles etc back to my grandparent's house where my Nana would boil 'em all up.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:44
The Dave Clark 5 feature quite a lot in this thread - they must have made a big impression on our generation.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:47
What I recall from the dim past was stuff my mother had in her collection... Beatles, Roberta Flack, the American Graffiti soundtrack, Jesus Christ Superstar, some Broadway sountracks, etc. She was a high school schoolteacher in the early seventies and there was a big revival of the sock hop and music of the early sixties then, that kind of stuff was played a lot.
My first music purchase was a cassette tape of the 'Live and Let Die' soundtrack. I also ended up, somehow, with the Who's 'Who's Next' and the first Santana album, and Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn', by about '75 or so, all influential on me.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 20, 2007, 12:06
Nov 20, 2007, 12:03
Valve wrote:

Oh and white dog shit obviously.

Hehe glad someone gave it a mention!
It's said that it occured due to some worming medicines.

I wish I hadn't found that out (if it's true), coz I wanted it to be there 'for no reason'. Spoilt it for meslef:-(

Infact dogs were fecking mental then, all of them. Chasing cars and the like. P'raps it was making them ALL (as opposed to today's 7/8s of them) psychotic!

EDIT: I have memories of said dog shit on pavement and Leo Sayer's 'When I Need You' blasitng form someone's wondow. Just one of those non-days really you remember as a kid.

x
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 12:19
I remember white dog shit too. I had a paper round when I was a kid and used to nearly get attacked by this little white poodle thing which would snap at my heels. Dogs were more mad. There used to be big fat hairy mongrels that would chase after the cars on the estate. Them were the days.

8)
Sounder
Sounder
303 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 12:49
I remember when i used to play in the hallway with my toys, my mum would be in the kitchen with the radio on - abba's supertrouper always makes me think of that!

On a more credible note i remember seeing Ian Dury doing Hit Me With Your rhythm Stick on totp and being totally transfixed.

the other thing i remember from when i was about 3 is playing in the park with a ball with my grand dad and the ball disappearing down a very big hole in the middle of the grass and looking for it frantically. looking back i can see this didnt actually happen but i must've not noticed the ball being somewhere else and thinking it went down the hole and it freaking me out! that and thinking a dream i had of a quite large spider with the body like a big green fruit pastille was real until i was about 8!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 12:54
It is a bloody shame that there isn't a kids' pop show anymore.

Yes

Cheggers Plays Pop

On the other hand, kids today don't know how lucky they are

In a way i feel sorry for kids now as it is virtually impossible for them to have that musical ephiphany that i had, if my kids saw the Hawkwind equivalant on the telly they would regard it as normal

I remember sitting up til the wee small hours just to watch Lynyrd Skynyrd doing Freebird, now it's probably on you tube just a click away
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 13:03
I recall seeing Ian Dury on Rock Goes to College when I was still at primary school. He had plastic fish bones & stuff hanging off him & I was so impressed I attempted to pierce my ear with a safety pin. Rebellion! Produced lots of blood which went on the sofa & I got a good clip round the ear.

Much earlier on my mum was very keen on the carpenters. For a long time they were pretty much forgotten, although they've been re-appraised nowadays & heard quite often. But I heard them for the 1st time in a long time maybe 10 years ago, it was like a gust of air from 1970s passing over me - for a second or two I was there..

Also clearly remember the older kids in the house next door having the who's Tommy. I'd have been about 5 at the time. Not the greatest who album but nevertheless my fave.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 13:03
Being driven around to Morris gatherings by a family friend whose husband turns up in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery leading the morris band.
Walking across great tracts of Norfolk while staying at my mother's cousin's vestry house. Being told about myxamatosis which was raging at the time.
Walking to and from my grandparents place across the golf links around Woodford green. Frequent longish distance trips with grandparents to places like Saffron Walden, Harlow in grandad's blue Renault 4. Playing carlocopters on the backseat.
I think my earliest memory was sitting between 2 people on the backseat of a car driving through Kenya.
Playing war in the jungle area in the backgarden, must've just been a small area of bushes that were overgrown. Somebody breaking a branch in the tree in the middle of the back garden and falling with it to the ground. The metal climbing frame in the middle of it. Whizzing down the path on the side of the single-parent-family-flats-house seated on a little red scooter gaining speed all the way and probably damaging somebody's flower bed. Exploring the coal shute which left me in the basement of another flat. Orange Hot Wheels tracks set up in the living room.
Memories of each of the schools I went to. plus the playschools.
Bits of SWEET, TREX, David Bowie, can't remember much else early 70s. My mother bought the Red double Beatles lp when it came out, outside of that we didn't have much pop or rock stuff that wasn't from the telly. a couple of KTel like compis which were cool.
I remember seeing the Ramones doing BabY I Love You on what i assume was TOTP. Possibly the LWT punk programme that I got as a torrent this year being watched on my grandparents tv.
My grandad's early C20 children's encyclopedias which I perused at length.
Think that's enough right now
Stevo
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index