Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What do you truly remember from childhood?

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2007, 18:12
What do you truly remember from childhood?
Nov 19, 2007, 18:07
Y'know, in that 'woozy washed up memory' kind of way, going back as early as you can.

I can truly remember the Bay City Rollers being on telly, but moreso the arse end of The Pistols - Sid's C'mon Everybody.
I also remember Clout's 'Substitute' very clearly, coz all the impressive teen girls around the area would replace the word 'substitute' for 'prostitute' - you can just hear it now!

I'm talking when I was 3 and 4 here (I think).

I know this could be a candidate for VP, but there's more of a chance it'll go off in nice little tangents, so here it shall be:-)
x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2007, 18:20
Re: What do you truly remember from childhood?
Nov 19, 2007, 18:10
I was totally enthralled with the Isley Bros version of "Summer Breeze" when I was a sproguloid. Still resonates with me to this day.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 19, 2007, 18:16
Apparently worked ok for Type O Negative too
Brik
586 posts

Nov 19, 2007, 18:18
Ha I love this un.
A few years back I heard a song called Reward that I immediately fell in love with. I'd heard it so many times over the years but never really HEARD it. So I ask my mum if this crazy band The Teardrop Explodes were any good and she offered to lend me one of her recent purchases - Floored Genius: The Best of Julian Cope and The Teardrop Explodes. I hit track 2, a song called Treason, and I didn't get past the first 20 seconds for the rest of that day. Just the first line stunned me into bewilderment "I've been living through changes and I could swing for you dun dun dun dun duuun" By An Elegant Chaos I was hooked, and by Reynard I was terrified, but in absolute ecstasy. So I carry on and get to a couple of tracks called Charlotte Anne and China Doll. Now this was where I realised I knew both tracks, so I asked my mum what was going on here. She looked shocked and said "I can't believe you remember those two!" "Eh?" "Last time you heard those songs you were one year old and I was playing them on vinyl" And then I remembered the exact vinyl with the Island logo "You mean the one with the palm tree in the centre label?!" "Yep. And I sold my vinyl not long after you were born so god knows how that stayed with you" That was also when I realised Julian Cope was going to mean something good.
Wow, quite the essay.
Another one was when I was about 4. My babysitter's mum had a 50th birthday and invited us. In the background there was a karaoke tape on the telly, and I remember a surreal song with a bunch of men stomping around Egypt in uniform and then trampling on a fez. From that point I remembered that, but just stored it away. When I was about 8 my sister came home with a video of some band called Madness. Another exciting realisation later, I was a full blown Madness fan.
There's two anyway...
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 19, 2007, 18:46
Madness...I used to love TOTP as a kid. Always waiting on the new Madness video!

Then soon after Phil Collins started with his 80s frightmares, and it would really, really get me down. I'd think 'how can they allow someone like him on TOTP? How? What is he?'

Didn't have a scooby who he was or nowt, but I dreaded another Collins moment everytime!

x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2007, 18:58
Nov 19, 2007, 18:57
pop tv memories? not much before the age of ten. totp mainly. marc doing "children of the revolution" I remember and rod singing "you wear it well" and golden earring on "radar love" and "all the young dudes" of course.

on the downside there's "ernie - the fastest milkman in the west", the moog hit "hot butter" and "mouldy old dough" plus some novelty number one that mum loved involving a lot of bagpipes. she had it on an orange label rca single which I still have somewhere. can't remember who or what just massed ranks of men in kilts - and no it wasn't spandau balet.

as for the radio I clearly remember shirley bassey camping it up on "hey big spender" and hearing blackfoot sue's "standing in the road" and singing it over and over.

this would be mainly 1971 / 1972 ish. it was 1973 before I got serious and started asking for albums for my birthday.
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2007, 19:21
Nov 19, 2007, 19:18
Seeing Ron Mael staring into the camera on Top of the Pops whilst playing "This Town Ain't Big Enough..." with Sparks is without doubt my most vivid early childhood TV/music memory.

Other strong TOTP memories were the first time Slade's "Merry Christmas Everybody" charted and that Womble record.

On a non-musical note I can remember being gutted when Jo Grant left Doctor Who and then doubly gutted when Jon Pertwee did shortly after :D
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1700 posts

Nov 19, 2007, 19:37
My dad's trad jazz albums on cold wet Sunday afternoons with a roaring fire and the light fading outside.

Getting up to the Radio 2 Breakfast show in the 1970s, when Wogan seems to have been wallowing in post-hippy musical detritus with every song seemingly suffused with such autumnal melancholy it's a wonder we ever managed to get out of bed at all. Or maybe it's my selective memory, according to temprement. But while other people remember their childhood as being all long hot summer days, I remember grey rainy mornings sounchecked by minor key acoustic guitars, mournful four-part harmonies and lyrics about riding across the desert on a horse with no name and how we had to get back to the garden. Elegaic hymns to some misplaced innocence harking back to some golden age that was no irrevocably lost, full of disappointment and doubt. Truly, I was living after the flood.

The result is that now, when I hear Horse With No Name by America, or Heart of Gold by Neil Young, or Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin, or any version of Woodstock, or Hotel California etc etc, I'm responding not only to their evocation of post-Watergate/Vietnam/Altamont/Manson/Cocaine dissillusionment, but feeling a Proustian rush of bittersweet loss and longing for my own lost golden age of childhood...
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 19, 2007, 19:52
Wow...I really remember the Nolan Sisters!
;-))

x
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Nov 19, 2007, 20:13
IanB wrote:
......plus some novelty number one that mum loved involving a lot of bagpipes. she had it on an orange label rca single which I still have somewhere. can't remember who or what just massed ranks of men in kilts - and no it wasn't spandau balet.

http://www.lpcd.de/9/C6076_01.jpg

AAAAAAAARGH !! I remember it !!! =8-[]

;-)
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index