Zeppelin Song Sources

23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Zeppelin Song Sources
Nov 19, 2007, 18:41
I'm pretty sympathetic to your basic critique actually -- though personally the Stones appropriations offend me more than Zep's (or Clapton's for that matter.) (That's another topic!)

I think you can take the "sounds like" game too far though -- EVERY song with an ascending chromatic riff can be traced back to "Day Tripper" (including Zep's "Heartbreaker" even moreso than "Black Dog" -- and most especially Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" which is almost note-for-note identical to "Day Tripper" only with different syncopation and a cowbell.)

But the "Day Tripper" riff was originally inspired by motown horn charts I believe, hence the logic of Otis Redding's "re-covering" of the song.

(I was gonna write up a little treatise on how "Day Tripper" begat "Paperback Writer" which begat "Last Train To Clarksville" which begat "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and thus finally culminates with Grand Funk's "Closer To Home"!! Obviously this R. Meltzer book I've been reading is effecting me -- even though I think "Aesthetics of Rock" is 99.99% bullshit!)

Everything is related to everything else. Zappa called it "The Big Note", but I think he got that idea from someone else (which is perfectly fitting, if you think about it!)

Unsung Forum Index