Zeppelin Song Sources

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Zeppelin Song Sources
Nov 19, 2007, 18:49
Oh well, whatever.

It's just your lists and arguments just come over as a peculiarly passionless and overly analytical dissection of music that, for me at least, provokes deep, emotional responses. If it works for you, fine.

Not all of us are 'lucky' enough to be of an age to have heard most of the groups you mention first time round so how Zeppelin were regarded in comparison to their contemporaries is maybe diverting but not something that I'd be bothered about when listening to the records. And "I was there" one-upmanship has never really affected how I listen to any band, although peoples recollections are interesting.

Bottom line is, on a personal level, I think Zep are better than a lot of the bands you have mentioned and, as a musical entity, transcended their influences to the point of ecstacy.

Watching the DVD collection of their live performances is proof enough to my eyes that, regardless of their business practices - which by the way I'd wager was more to do with the management side of things than the individual members of the band - they were simply a great, great thing. Record sales or the apparent later 'deification' of them doesn't denigrate my appreciation or enjoyment of them one iota.

And, lets face it, of course there's 'zep thing in the air' at the moment, but I still think their recognition often comes in blips and spurts rather than say the blanket adulation acts like The Beatles and Stones enjoy so I'm glad that Zep are having a bit of a 'moment' again.

So in conclusion. So?

ps 'Simplifying' rock isn't really a problem for me ;^)
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Zeppelin Song Sources
Nov 20, 2007, 02:41
Dog 3000 wrote:
Beefheart's "voice" was obviously based on Chester Burnett aka Howlin' Wolf, and his tendency to go into a falsetto squeak at the end of a line comes from Little Richard.

But what specific blues TUNES did he "rip off"?

Who originated "Plastic Factory" (verse chords are the same as "Gloria" actually) or "Hair Pie" or "Floppy Boot Stomp" or . . . . (????)

Not saying it ain't so, just that I don't know of any examples.

Two very specific examples (specific because you can find them on the Grow Fins boxed set) would be:

Sure Nuff N Yes I Do = Rollin' & Tumblin' (Muddy Waters)

Mirror Man = You're Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond (Blind Willie Johnson)

I know there are more examples but don't feel like looking to hard tonight.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Re: Zeppelin Song Resource
Nov 21, 2007, 12:02
theres a corking 'trampled underfoot' and some lovely pianna from JPJonesey on 'no quarter'.....nice intro to 'moby dick' from plant.
shame 'going to california' is an audience recording though.

good stuff, top of their game on this one.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index