16 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Woprocksampler
Oct 24, 2007, 09:33
zphage wrote:
is there enough wierdness in Italian rock that isn't "prog"?

No, I doubt it but they did put out quite a bit of prog that was actually rewarding . I do prefer the heavy end of the material from there to the straighter symphonic stuff I think is better known though.
Somebody on another chatlist posted a list of their top 50 Italian prog lps and what I've heard from it has been great. I think I may have posted the list here some years back so it might be available in the archives.

I also got a 2 volume Prog Rock from Italy dvd set from Dime which has some interesting stuff on.

It seems that certain parts of European prog have a differently nuanced approach to the music than the Brit stuff that earned bad reputation.
More music orientated than chop demonstration orientated methinks.

If you like Baletto di Bronzo's Ys I think you'd like some of the other stuff from the country. I think Ys is pretty proggy anyway, just demonstrating how good the genre could be. It is played with an intensity one doesn't automatically identify with the genre though too. I might come back later & list a few titles of things worth checking out.
Stevo

Unsung Forum Index