Woprocksampler

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Woprocksampler
Oct 24, 2007, 04:43
Italy as the third of the Axis powers went through the same trajectory that has been outlined in Jap/Kraut-rocksamplers. Other than some Le Orme, Area, and Balletto Dibronzo is there enough wierdness in Italian rock that isn't "prog"?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Woprocksampler
Oct 24, 2007, 09:33
zphage wrote:
is there enough wierdness in Italian rock that isn't "prog"?

No, I doubt it but they did put out quite a bit of prog that was actually rewarding . I do prefer the heavy end of the material from there to the straighter symphonic stuff I think is better known though.
Somebody on another chatlist posted a list of their top 50 Italian prog lps and what I've heard from it has been great. I think I may have posted the list here some years back so it might be available in the archives.

I also got a 2 volume Prog Rock from Italy dvd set from Dime which has some interesting stuff on.

It seems that certain parts of European prog have a differently nuanced approach to the music than the Brit stuff that earned bad reputation.
More music orientated than chop demonstration orientated methinks.

If you like Baletto di Bronzo's Ys I think you'd like some of the other stuff from the country. I think Ys is pretty proggy anyway, just demonstrating how good the genre could be. It is played with an intensity one doesn't automatically identify with the genre though too. I might come back later & list a few titles of things worth checking out.
Stevo
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2007, 11:07
Oct 24, 2007, 11:05
It looks like there are lots of Italian stuff worth investigating. To the ones you mention I would add early-mid seventies Battiato (especially 'Fetus' and 'Pollution'), Biglietto Per L'Inferno's first album and Pierrot Lunaire (especially their second album, 'Gudrun')

I haven't heard any Area or Le Orme stuff though. Any recommendation?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2007, 13:38
Oct 24, 2007, 13:37
Le Orme's 'Felona e Sorona' is pretty indispensible. None of their other records do much for me though 'Contrappunti' comes in a close second even if it lacks the 'x' factor.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Oct 24, 2007, 14:52
The link that Stevo speaks of is gone. But the discussions are still in Unsung, and they are pretty much centered on the same bands.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 24, 2007, 15:53
Here's one list I was sent in 2004. I think this may not be the one I was referring to, since I think that listed record company etc.
The BTf.it link that was in my 2004 post doesn't work itself but the host of that page is still there. I think there may have been a split as somebody took their top artists list elsewhere. That shop is about the cheapest for Italian prog stuff though. Very cheap p+p too

Alphataurus - Same
Apoteosi - Same
Atlantide - Frencesco Ti Ricordi
Bambibanda E Melodie - Same
Blocco Mentale - Poa
Califfi - Fiore Di Metallo
Campo Di Marte - Same
Citta Frontale - El Tor
Circus 2000 - Same and An Escape From A Box
Dalton - Riflessioni-Idea I'nfinito
Duello Madre - Same
Edgar Allan Poe - Generazioni (Storia Di Sempre)
Electric Frankenstein - What Me Worry?
Flea - Topi O Uomini
Formula 3 - All Albums
Garybaldi - Nuda and Astrolabio
I Giganti - Terra In Bocca
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Si Amano Piu
Maxophone - Same
Murple - I Sono Murple
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
Nouva Idea - All Albums
Osage Tribe - Arrow Head
Osanna - L'Oumo and Palepoli
Il Paese Di Balocchi - Same
Panna Freda - Uno
Planetarium - Infinity
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Same (stay of their 2nd)
Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno - Per...Un Mondo Di Cristallo
I Raminghi - Il Lungo Cammino Dei Raminghi
Ricordi D'infanzia - Io Uomo
Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - All Albums
Samadhi - Same
Semiramis - Dedicato A Frazz
I Teoremi - Same
The Trip - All Albums
L'Uovo Di Colombo - Same

That's about sums it up...

Stevo
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Oct 24, 2007, 16:16
Excellent. Thank you.
gogmagog
176 posts

Oct 24, 2007, 18:05
Area or Area International Popular Band as they sometimes go by, put out quite a few LPs. "Crac" from 74? has some scorching avant prog-jazz - Check "Metropoli" 7 minutes of heaven -

and in their vocalist Demetrio Stratos they had a true seer - made Peter Hammill sound like Peters and Lee -

- a later Lp Maledetti (Maudits) is much more avant-garde in style - aggressive abstract noise-jazz -

heard good things about the Arbeit macht Frei Lp but don't own a copy myself.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Oct 24, 2007, 23:25
I know very little in this area, but did come across an Italian proggo album by Picchio Dal Pozzo (means "Woodpecker of the Well" I think) from circa 1976 which is quite excellent. Very Canterbury/Zappa -- definitely not "wank" prog.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 25, 2007, 08:00
I posted that list yesterday just before going out so didn't check over it closely. I do notice a couple of things missing now that I have
There's no Cervello for one thing, great lp by band with 16 year old guitarist who's very taken by John Mclaughlin.

No Jumbo or J.E.T either and those 2 are highly regarded. I'll check the archives of another list & see if I can find the list I was thinking of.
Stevo
Np Birthday Party sydney 80 Loose
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index