Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2007, 17:31
Re: Yuk! You're posh!
Oct 16, 2007, 17:28
This is an interesting one.

I think the music people make reflects the access the makers have had to a wide education or at least the access to tools that ensure that they can continue their self-education.

Most great English rock and rollers come from lower middle class and skilled blue collar backgrounds - people who have access to some of the things that help get out there and make a noise but also every incentive to get the fuck out of town.

Of course that favours people with some money and people in cities. In the 60s it certainly favoured people who made it into Art School.

So it is partly a class issue but really it's about whether ones imagination is encouraged or stunted at key moments. You can usually tell which acts spent their school years pissing about in the back row and never went near a book thereafter.

We had virtually no books in our house apart from a Brittanica and the Dennis Wheatley and Agatha Christie type paperbacks but I had access to anything that took my fancy at the local library. So if Lou Reed name dropped Crime & Punishment or Bill Nelson mentioned Jean Cocteau in the NME or Melody Maker on a Thursday I could be reading their stuff by dinner time Friday for free thanks to the Labour government!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index