Unsung Forum »
Yuk! You're posh!

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Yuk! You're posh!
Oct 16, 2007, 09:54
Has to be the lamest reason to dislike any musician.
Vince's well observed comment re Radiohead made me think of this.

Off the top of my head the only two genuine 'trailer trash' boys I can think of are Iggy Pop and Eminem (love the latter when he was good!).

Oasis grew up on a council Estate - does that give them any more 'validity' than say, eh, most of the artists coveted on this here place?

I used the find myself mired in this fuzzy logic until I stopped and realised alot of what I like is done by the sort of middle classers I'll never hang out with in my life - so doesn't matter a jot really...yet slagging off Keane and James Cnut for that very reason still has some appeal...dunno why though;-))

x
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: Yuk! You're posh!
Oct 16, 2007, 10:02
I have no problem with posh boys making music; they're the ones that can afford the equipment after all, and are more likely to have had music lessons funded by pushy parents or whatever, but where I DO have a problem is when you get the likes of Chris Fucking Martin bleating on about Fair Trade and putting on the 'I Wanna Be Thom Yorke' tortured genius bit when he has a very comfortable background, fucking great stacks of cash and a very privileged education. Well fair fucks to him but that doesn't qualify HIM to make ME feel guilty about not buying fair trade bananas or doing enough to rid the world of landmines. He has the money to do that, I don't.

It was like the time Victoria Beckham was on one of Chris Evans' dreadful shows beseeching everyone to give money to charity when the bracelet she was wearing was probably worth more than most people earn in a year. Oooooh don't get me started....

I think there IS a place for posh music AND a place for council estate music; different people inspired by their own different experiences. Oh but it did make me laugh when Wycliffe Jean, in that murderous version of whichever Pink Floyd song he mutilated, described them (Pink Floyd) as being 'A band from the British blocks' when in fact they were Architecture students from Guildford or somewhere! Never ceases to make me smile that one!
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:09
I used to have prejudicies (sp?) against muzos from more priviledged (sp - brain's not in gear, today) origins when I was younger. Preferring Black Sabbath over Deep Purple, then later bands like the Buzzcocks over the posh Clash, etc... I soon came to my senses, though. People can't help it if they were born to middle class parents - no more than the colour of their skin.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:12
Daminxa wrote:

Oh but it did make me laugh when Wycliffe Jean, in that murderous version of whichever Pink Floyd song he mutilated, described them (Pink Floyd) as being 'A band from the British blocks' when in fact they were Architecture students from Guildford or somewhere! Never ceases to make me smile that one!

Y'know, I've never understood what a 'block' is, but that's just my ignorance. Is it like a street, or a legnth of buildings?
But yeah, I imagine Wycliffe meant they were not too well off, ah bless!
Rmemeber J-Lo? She was from 'the block'!
She probably was, and now she's stinking rich.
Don't grudge that,
but Lopez, FFS, don't be such a tool;-))

x
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:19
True enuf; and prejudice is prejudice and not nice so we should all be tolerant. Except of Chris Martin. I cannot stand Chris Martin.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:22
Yeah the whole 'Jenny from the Block' debacle was to show us all that she's 'street' and from humble beginnings and has made good (not good records, you understand, just good money...) I think a block is a square of city housing bordered on all sides by streets or maybe it's a block of flats - either way the connotation is that it's 'working class'. I think. Now that I consider the matter I find I don't really know either...
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2007, 10:27
Oct 16, 2007, 10:24
Yeah, coz they say 'he ran about twenty blocks', or ' he just ran round the block'. I really dunno, maybe on of our US friends will readl this, and rightly correct me for being such a dimwit!
x
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:40
Kid Calamity wrote:
Black Sabbath over Deep Purple
Buzzcocks over the posh Clash

That's not prejudice, just good taste.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2007, 12:46
Oct 16, 2007, 10:43
as a measure of distance (so to speak), it's the bit between two streets. There's a lot more grid systems in the US.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 12:18
..the whole 'credibility of an artist' topic concerning class or background is a tired one and a result of fans and followers own insecurities with looking uncool or not following what they're mates like or governed by the media, music press and writers.

Was John Lennon a working class hero as many believe or did he just have a a chip on his shoulders because he wasn't?

It takes individuality and free thinking to be proud of music that you yourself only seem to 'get' but nobody else does. That's thinking outside the box and we'll never be happy until we do.

Tones - can you give me back that Take That album I lent you 5 years ago?

8)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index