8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Fallout/ Radioactive records
Oct 10, 2007, 13:18
Stevo wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Despite the misleadingly professional packaging, it's one of the most obvious needeldrops I've ever heard - surface noise is bloody awful.

I don't know if I've actually seen the Radioactive sleeve but I thought everybody was saying it was a pretty shoddy photo of the sleeve. On which you could barely read the titles. Were you being sarcastic or did they improve that?
I found a better lp rip, or at least a decent one, on a blog.
http://tinyurl.com/yuxvhz

The Radioactive CD uses the negative photo, which I thought was a deliberate redesigning of the original (having only seen the positive in Richie Unterberger's book, I assumed that was the LP sleeve), rather than a shoddy photo of it. The title is indeed quite hard to read, but late 60s LPs are full of such quirky graphics, so I didn't see that as a sign of amateurishness either. The CD also has a big Radioactive logo to the left of the main photo near the spine, which would lend an aura of authenticity if it weren't for the fact that just about everyone who would be ineteresated knows they were a bootleg label by now.

Put it this way, if I hadn't been aware of the circumstances surrounding the re-issue, I'd have assumed it was legit until playing it.

Wierdly enough, I have a CD compilation of the Banana Splits and Beagles sonbgs which is also a needledrop, but sounds as though a lot more care and thought has been put into the mastering of it than "FA". And we're talking bubblegum here.

Unsung Forum Index