Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 09, 2007, 19:55
Re: Moby Grape: First 5 Reissued
Nov 09, 2007, 19:21
Dog 3000 wrote:
Are you saying "Grape Jam" is one of their best?!?

Ah, I wasn't aware we were counting that one as I thought it was just a bonus LP issued with "Wow" - I was referring to the debut, "Wow" and "69" when I mentioned their first three. I've never even heard "Grape Jam", tbh. Given the fact that none of it has ever been included on any of their compilations I can only assume it's not that hot.
philiph20
80 posts

Nov 09, 2007, 19:56
Grape Jam is great, i heard that the problems are more with sony rather than Matthew Katz (yuk!) although how accurate that is i don't know, what i would give however is for a newly discovered unreleased second album from Skip Spence..if only!.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Nov 09, 2007, 20:29
Nov 09, 2007, 20:26
I think when they said "the first 3" are discontinued, they were counting "Grape Jam" and "Wow" as two separate CD's . . . anyway, I agree with you the "first three" (not including the Jam separately) are the ones to get.

I think "Grape Jam" is basically the same as the third record from "All Things Must Pass" . . . both of which were no doubt inspired by all those "Super Session" jam-in-the-studio records. (Not worth much in other words!)

PS - of course "Grape Jam" was a bonus disc that came free with the "Wow" LP (another overzealous promotion by Columbia, though probably worked out better commercially than the disasterous "release 5 singles on the same day" strategy for the first one!)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Nov 09, 2007, 20:27
Nov 09, 2007, 20:27
I've got the "Vintage" too -- great comp except I could do without the between track banter they added to the first LP!
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Re: Moby Grape: First 5 Reissued, now 3 deleted
Nov 10, 2007, 14:10
There's the first part of a major interview with all the surviving Grapes in the relaunched Shindig magazine. I'm nothing to do with it, but I think it's a great wee mag that can do with the support.

Here's the website - www.shindig-magazine.com
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2007, 23:59
Re: Moby Grape: First 5 Reissued, now 3 deleted
Nov 10, 2007, 22:15
Grape Jam was originally meant to be a live album of the Grape ripping through some 50's classics recorded at the Avalon Ballroom. Last minute it was scrapped and Jam was added. Jimmy Page was a fan and used the first song in the set "Never" as the basis for "Sine I've Been Loving You"
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index