Snowblind - The Falls

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Snowblind - The Falls
Oct 02, 2007, 09:55
Does anyone else love this overlooked gem from 2002?

Here's what Richard Smirke of BBC Manchester had to say about the album at the time of its release on Independiente in 2002:

"Having been dropped from Heavenly on the eve of releasing this album late last year, you could’ve been forgiven for thinking that Snowblind, aka Manchester-based duo Paul Williams and Jane Murphy, had gone the way of so many indie dreamers before them - i.e. nowhere.

"Luckily the pop two-some persevered, signed to a new label and in The Falls have resurfaced with their original debut - and the result is a surprisingly delightful collection of glimmering pop gems.

"From the moment that acoustic guitars and trumpets herald the beginning of first single and opening track Easy Girl, Snowblind’s debut places you in a joyous land of lush harmony and soothing orchestration.

"Slowly rides a crestful wave of melody and idyllic strings, Summer In The Sun sounds like the Boo Radleys in all their uplifting sun-soaked glory, and album standout Message For Glo mixes brooding strings, sound FX and piano into a gorgeous, off-kilter musical odyssey.

"The album may contain no bonafide hit as such, and upon your first listen initially appears as eleven versions of the same song, but this is nonetheless a delightful collection of subtle beauty and heavenly songwriting. Blending strings, piano, acoustic guitars and luminous vocals, Paul and Jane have succeeded in creating a polished and enjoyable debut.

"They may have begun the year as a discarded, label-less duo but, in The Falls, Snowblind have returned stronger than ever. They could just end 2002 on top yet!"

Thing is, I recently discovered that the original 2001 Heavenly version of The Falls was intended for release with markedly different mixes of the songs from those which eventually appeared on the more familiar Independiente release, from 2002. A promotional CDR on Heavenly bought on spec turned out to feature a whole album's worth of these original mixes.

I also discovered that songwriter Paul Williams was previously in a band called Swish, who released three singles during the mid-1990s. These singles contain early versions of six songs which would eventually resurface on The Falls.

Add to that the four b-sides from the two Snowblind singles Cut and Easy Girl as well as the downtempo J-Walk Easy Girl remix and the gritty Soulsavers Fistful of Dollars remix, and there's enough for a nice 2CD set, which will make a very nice companion to the Independiente release.

I do love it when a band whose sole album you love suddenly turns out to have a whole lot more to offer!
Koops
3 posts

Re: Snowblind - The Falls
Jan 13, 2010, 21:48
Hya, I really want to own Snowblind : Fistful Of Dollars (Soulsavers Remix) but I can't find it anywhere. I saw that you mentioned the song so I was curious if you have an idea how to find the song?
Greets Frank
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Jan 14, 2010, 13:53
Koops wrote:
Hya, I really want to own Snowblind : Fistful Of Dollars (Soulsavers Remix) but I can't find it anywhere. I saw that you mentioned the song so I was curious if you have an idea how to find the song?
Greets Frank

Frank

If you adjust your settings to accept messages from fellow forum members, I'll arrange this for you.

Post again in this thread when you've done that - it'll remind me to do my bit.
realtodiego
1 posts

Mar 05, 2010, 18:54
Hi I have also been searching for Snowblind - Fisfull of Dollars remix for ages. Could you please let me know how I can find the song too. Cheers
Koops
3 posts

Edited May 18, 2010, 18:19
May 18, 2010, 18:17
Gladwin wrote:

Frank

If you adjust your settings to accept messages from fellow forum members, I'll arrange this for you.

Post again in this thread when you've done that - it'll remind me to do my bit.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! But it's been a while since I last checked this tread. I created an account just for that particular question.
I hope your offer still stands; only I don't know where to adjust the settings to accept messages from fellow forum members.

Gr. Frank
gaz0311
1 posts

Jul 29, 2010, 21:44
I've also been searching for this track for ages. Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

G
Superdog500
1 posts

Jul 21, 2012, 13:08
Hey thanks for the interest after. All this time!
If you want to post your address then I can send copies of the 7" of the jwalk mix£4 plus p and p
Also please have a listen to a demo we haven't played to anyone.
Http://Snd.sc/LzMUja- if link won't work search soundcloud for snowblind fly fishing x
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Jul 22, 2012, 09:10
Brilliant! Thanks for this. When was it recorded, later than the album?
musicaneu
1 posts

Jun 01, 2013, 02:13
Hi!

I know I'm veeeery late, but I would also like to get my hands on the Fistfull of Dollars Soulsavers remix. Is that still a possibility?
pud354
1 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 06:55
I'm also late, but also very interested in getting hold of the Soulsavers remix of "Fistfull of Dollars".
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index