35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: The Residents
Dec 07, 2012, 14:34
Sin Agog wrote:
I do like The Residents and most of the acts on Ralph Records but the last gig I saw by them, from the Brown Bunny tour, was one king hell of a disappointment. There didn't seem to be an ounce of spontaneity on display. It was more like an art exhibition hosted by a goofy raving Texan prancing across the stage. No fun! At least not for me.

As to the mystery, the dude in this video- Homer Flynn- is the same guy who's been doing the vocals for most of their lifespan. He was wearing a particularly flimsy mask on that BB tour so it was pretty clear who he was.

They are an acquired taste, and I'm not going to confess to loving everything they do, but I know some things just take a while to like. I never saw TBB tour, but one thing is for sure, they have never been afraid to take risks, and don't seem to care about what the audience thinks. They do what they do.

As for the anonymity, it's been pretty clear for years who the main guys behind the masks are, but once you know that and stop caring about the mystery, you begin to listen more deeply. For guys who always wore disguises, their music is more open and honest than a lot of bands who have their faces plastered everywhere.

Now that video, either it's a last ditch retirement scheme, or the funniest prank I've seen in a while. Not sure if any of those will sell, I mean $100,000??? And for $5 million, it's gotta be the publishing rights to their entire back catalogue, but who would buy it on a whim?

Still, they have guts, and a sense of humour. But they did not invent the music video, I don't care what Moma says.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index