Obscure Prog

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Obscure Prog
Jun 28, 2007, 11:17
I quite like the album:

'4 pompous asses who thought they were too good to play rock but could never quite manage to play the jazz changes and classical music to any degree'

......can't remember who its by though. Perhaps a few nerds will know.

8)
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Jun 28, 2007, 11:20
If you want to e-mail me with your address, I'll make you up a sampler.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Jun 28, 2007, 12:29
look out for sensations' fix... some italians who make a truly great noise... proper prog's a thing to behold... sensations' fix do it for me....
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Guapo
Jun 28, 2007, 14:37
Yup - seconded - Guapo are absolutely fantastic live

When I saw them, they had just released the 'Five Suns' album and were a three-piece
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Jun 28, 2007, 14:45
Not really obscure, but a few from the progressive metal world that you may or may not know:

Voivod - Nothingface
Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters
Virus - Carheart
Oxiplegatz - Worlds and Worlds, Sidereal Journey
At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Dodheimsgard - Supervillain Outcast
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Re: Psycho records
Jun 28, 2007, 16:37
Stevo wrote:
Anyway better to get the Sundazed version than my original copy which was the one channel in both channels Psycho version. Think that's still talked about in collector's circles in terms of extreme carelessness.

Ha! Yes. I had that one too. Of course, it was the channel with the bleeding trumpet going full tilt - not quite the psychedelic experience i was hoping for :-)

Talking of things on Psycho - I wish i could find a band/artist who made a career out of sounding like side one of Terry Brooks & Strange's Raw Power because TB certainly didn't - i was mortified when i heard 'Translucent World'. Must say I've not heard 'To Earth With Love' tho

(apologies for wandering off topic)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 28, 2007, 19:03
Jun 28, 2007, 17:57
That would be Radiohead when Thom's at therapy

IIRC the nerds at school back in the day were 'into' Queen, Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy, Eagles and the like. The not-really-rock-at-all rock bands of the pre-punk era.

Prog fans more often than not were those of us who had girlfriends with tangly blonde hair and really smelly kaftans and who chain smoked roll ups and claimed not to mind sitting on the floor at the Roundhouse or St Albans City Hall for hour after hour in pursuit of the great lost mini moog solo.

This usually involved mushrooms and a lot of staring into deep space while people with long hair and big leather tool belts wandered the stage trying to remember where they had last left one of the three keyboard stands that the support band absolutely could not and would not live without.

There were often krumhorns and sackbut involved as well. Not to mention Andy Dunkley. And Jesus.

Oh yes them were the days ....
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 28, 2007, 17:59
Yeah I think I've got all their albums too
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Jun 28, 2007, 18:07
LOL ! Many a true word said in jest methinks. Right, time to don my pixie hat and step aboard a flying teapot.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 28, 2007, 19:12
On the lighter side . . .

EGG was a very nice Canterbury band that's not too well known (first two albums are the best, "Egg" and "The Polite Force".)

PICCHIO DAL PAZZO (italian for "Woodpecker of the Well" or somethin) -- their self-titled 1976 album is a gem, also very Canterbury-ish (it's the keyboard sound I guess), but more . . . "Italian symphonic/operatic" I guess.

CARAVAN -- progheads would especially be surprised by "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night" (1973) I should think. They also did a symphonic album if you like that sort of thing.

With all the plugs they get around here, are HATFIELD & THE NORTH still considered obscure? ;-)

AMON DUUL II's "Made In Germany" (1975) is a bit "prog meets art pop" (my favorite of their latter albums.)

VAN DER GRAAF duude -- but I think the post-1971 stuff is quite a bit overrated. Start with H TO HE and PAWN HEARTS. Some of Hammill's early-to-mid 70's solo stuff has moments that are just as good (it's the same musicians really!)

If you like Robert Wyatt & The Soft Machine, MATCHING MOLE is a much more raggedy-ass version of the fusionoid stuff the Softs got into after Wyatt left (better than latter Soft Machine albums.)

Or get mega-cheezy with the mid-70's sounds of STYX (try "Equinox" 1976) and STARCASTLE! (Prog was hot in Illinois once upon a time!!)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index