Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2007, 07:07
Re: Hold on!!!
Jun 23, 2007, 06:22
handofdave wrote:
There certainly is a lot of sense in making sure that the influx of foreigners into ones own society is handled in such a way to prevent clashes and ingrown subcultures from arising. I wouldn't dare presume to relocate to a country that had a different language without trying my best to learn it.

People get bent out of shape about this topic and hear what they want to hear sometimes, to fit their political predispositions. I think everyone can agree that an opening of the gates in any region of the world to people in exodus requires tremendous care, lest it backlash on the immigrants in the form of organized hatred.

Absolutely. Economic migration is not the post-colonial, post-EU, phenomena created by liberals and do-gooders that some people would have you believe. It's as old as trade. As old as the shortage of any basic need. Cure the shortage, address the imbalance in the supply of basic needs and hey presto it stops*. Bucky Fuller 101.

Amazes when people here and in the US in particular seem to think their nations are *culturally* more attractive to outsiders. What self-delusion! It's all about earning a crust and not about the dubious joys of Big Brother, Dan Brown, McFly and the NBA. Given the choice and safe housing, food, education etc in their own communities people don't stray far from where they call "home".

* Eco catatstrophe aside of course. Which I admit is hardly a given.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index