Lifespan of cdrs

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Tripecac
Tripecac
98 posts

Re: Lifespan of cdrs
Jun 05, 2007, 14:57
With an external hard drive enclosure, it's easy (and cheap) to backup all your music and data to a hard drive, which you can then put in a safe deposit box in the bank. I have 2 such hard drives, which "rotate" between home and bank. In addition, I backup audio to CD and data to DVD and store copies of those in the bank as well.

Redundancy and automation are the key. Every data file I have is backed up in at least 8 locations (2 offsite). Every song I create is backed up in those 8 locations, plus 7 audio CDs (2 of which are mailed to family), for a total of 15 lossless copies [plus mp3 versions backed up to 8 locations and uploaded to 1 or 2 remote servers]. I wrote scripts to perform the backing up for me, so that I don't have to think about it. I just click an icon when I am ready to back up.

Of course, this doesn't really address the original question: lifespan of cdrs. I guess my response is: "if you have lots of backups on lots of media types in lots of locations, you don't need to worry so much about the lifespan of any one copy".

Unsung Forum Index