Register
Unsung Forum »
when your favourites make you wince!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: when your favourites make you wince!
Apr 13, 2007, 20:05
Actually yeah, Squeeze Box is an embarrassing song. Don't HATE it but when you consider it's from the same people that brought us 'Miles and Miles' it does appear a bit on the shite side.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 20:07
I don't mind Elton John's early stuff but by GOD the man just does NOT know where to STOP!!! Give it a rest Elton! You're rich as Croesus and you don't need the money and WE don't need the music. Thank you.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2007, 20:52
Apr 13, 2007, 20:52
Funny, judging from the early 70s live stuff I've got recently there was always a lounge/mor level to his material even at his funkiest. He was doing MOR stuff in the late 60s between being the 12 year old genius and doing the early 70s run.
Don't know if he was actually doing funk stuff at the time (early 80s?) that was just eclipsed in popularity by the LOw Com DEnom stuff that was all over the charts. Chances are that if he was it wouldn't be the stuff being played so much in public anyway. Not only was that stuff trite but it appealed to the wider audience so was heard. I think the wider audience may want music that doesn't distract from other tasks and just operates on a background 'soma' level
Stevo
Np SWell Maps Milano 80
(god this recording is fuzzy)
bolox
bolox
311 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 23:01
Yeah, I Can See For Miles is unimprovable.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 23:28
The Cure were probably my fav band growing up - i can even remember quite liking Wish at the time. But now i've decided that anything after Disintegration isn't up to much. I had their last album for a while, but slowly came to realise that it was just too heavy and depressing. (Tho i quite liked the single which was a bit poppier) Hey, life is too short to be wallowing around in that so i gave it away. Bloodflowers and Wild Mood Swings are pretty naff too, with the exception of the odd song

Quite liked Crocodiles and Ocean rain by Echo and the Bunnymen, but Porcupine is so bad that i had to give it away to a local charity shop.

Big fan of Brian Eno, but Thursday Afternoon and Day of Radiance are a bit crappy.
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Apr 14, 2007, 01:11
shanshee_allures wrote:
Ok just thought of this one for fun. Have any of your favourite artists made you hold your head in your hands with despair?
I love Steeleye Span, but then they went and recorded 'Gaudette' (X Maria Virgin etc etc), even tho the rest of the album (Below The Salt) is OK. Aaaargh! 'All Around My Hat' is guff too I suppose.
So, when have your musical heroes let you down?
x

Never been let down, but i've winced to julian a few times over the years!
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Apr 14, 2007, 02:00
>Big fan of Brian Eno, but Thursday Afternoon and Day of Radiance are a bit crappy.

DAY OF RADIANCE is by Laraaji; Eno only produced it.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 14, 2007, 06:15
IanB wrote:

I love blues rock and the odd squeezed lemon bothers me not too much.

not worried about jaundice of the pee pee?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 14, 2007, 06:31
Spaceship mark wrote:
I do beleive that rock n roll, being the evolution of the blues, is modern folk music in the social as opposed to stylistic sense.

Are you sure about stylistic sense? If you listen to a lot of the 50s stuff it is audibly electrified versions of recognisably folk material. I'd say the folk element is very firmly in the DNA of rock & pop music only obscured by both of those forms now having a tradition that's older than the listener. Blues itself is a pretty wide area that's basically a marketing term for a certain period of black music. A lot of which is actually very much folk music by any other definition.
Another interesting strand is the adoption of stage music into the folk field. If you trace back a lot of songs from the folk canon you'll find that they werte at some point specificaly written for particular theatrrical performances.

Spaceship mark wrote:

. Eminem is no different to Nick Cave. Who is a folk artist.

(....runs for cover...)

Yeah I've wondered how many people will have come to listening to traditional music after listening to Cave. He was one of my influences in going back to check stuff out alongside Dylan and Jeffrey Lee Pierce and a few others. I found a book about twenty years back detailing the traditional/blues etc influences on Dylan. Wonder if you can still get it?
Stevo
Np the external fan on ther puter, must put some music on
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Apr 14, 2007, 07:07
I don't care what anyone thinks, I adore THINK TANK by Blur.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index