Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
when your favourites make you wince!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: when your favourites make you wince!
Apr 13, 2007, 12:34
1, Durutti Column with vocals
2, Miles Davis music 80's onwards - a hotchpotch of suspect collaborations but sometimes a gem appeared.
3, Buzzocks - music still great but the band look like 2 fathers, 2 sons and Shelley looks like a toad in a tupee.....but what the hell, they still rock in a cartoon type way.
4, Throbbing Gristle - although the new album sounds good, can't help but feel that the reformation and increasingly number of gigs is a dilution. Maybe me being too precious. The mission is terminated.....no its not.
5, The Fall - musical complacency starting to overshadow the attitude.
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:35
It's got a couple of decent bits admittedly.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:44
Stevie Wonder.
How can a man who produces music of the quality of Inner Visions, Talking Book and Songs in the Key of Life also produce 'I just called to say I love you'? It's SHITE!!!!!

This has always been a mystery to me.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:47
Good call! I'd forgotten about him. What a complete turnaround in quality and coolness, eh?
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:49
Well my soundcard is down, so I can't but I know the footage. Not Bolan at his peak, but do I like it? Yeah!

IIRC You saw Bolan on the early '76 tour when he looked like this. OK he was better live, and didn't pose quite so much as he did on the telly, but I'm sure you enjoyed it? I guess it depends whether we're judging this by the standards of 30 years or later or how we felt at the time?

I remember going to school the day after various Bolan performances, knowing that I was gonna get ribbed about last nights Bolanic posing on the box, but hey, so what. He brightened up the TV screen as far I was concerned, so who cares!

Admittedly he tested my patience from time to time, and I guess I could have mangaed without his To Know You... duet with Gloria, but even then we got a fab track in City Port on the b-side, so all was not lost!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:50
Good call - that's probably the most disturbing one posted here so far.

I think Stevie Wonder also treads dangerously when he gets the harmonica out and sometimes when he does the 'god squad' thing a bit too much, heh heh. Still, he's possibly one of the only musicians in popular music that could be considered (in my most humblest of opinions) as possessing genius, simply for the track 'Superwoman' off Music of my mind.

8)
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:53
I always thought the downfall began with Songs In The Key Of Life myself. Some good songs, but not comparable with the few before it, which I *loved*. Actually, I haven't heard this in years. Maybe should get myself a copy (an ex had it) and see what I make of these days.
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:54
I didn't like Hat at the time either. I blame nostalgia for my softening here!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:57
I got a CD copy of 'Songs...' a few weeks back and still think it sounds great but there are a few dodgy (IMO) tracks on it. Could have been a masterpiece of a single album ........like London Calling (NOT!!!!).

8)
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 13:04
I like more than a few of the songs on, er, Songs, but i agree there are more than a few dodgily sentimental ones too. Needless to say I've an abridged playlist on the MP3 player.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index