Register
Unsung Forum »
when your favourites make you wince!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: when your favourites make you wince!
Apr 13, 2007, 05:43
Oh dear...
I have to admit I had that disk too...

To be fair, there were occassions where he could rock out pretty competently on that piano, and he is a good singer. But the whole ELTON phenomonon did have an expiration date on it, to be sure...
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 06:02
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 06:05
(I just wrote a whole post and it appeared blank -- weird, that's never happened before...) To sum:

>World In Motion. Jetstream. Lemon Song. Like 'em all.

Me Too! But you can't really pin Lemon on LZ as, despite the credits, it's mostly blues (even the "squeeze my lemon..." lyrics).

Choose your favourites carefully and they won't make you wince.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 07:07
red peony wrote:

I used to love the album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by little sausage-fingers Reg Dwight, when I was a kid.

The whole album now makes me cringe and roll my eyes.
As a matter of fact, HE now makes me cringe and roll my eyes.

Dunno about the U.S, but cheese pop has had a bit of a resurgence here, and Elt is seen as the Grandaddy of it all.
There is the Scissor Sisters (American of course, but I THINK they're doing better over here), who've made a couple of very good pop hits, and there's (I think) The Kooks, who do a 'Supertramp' type thing, and most annoyingly a guy called Mica, who sits at the piano (ala Elt) and sounds like a horror hybrid of Freddie, Reg, Joel, ELO aaaarrrrghhhh 'nuff said!
x
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 08:05
Kevin Rowland's My Arsenal. I REALLY wished a classy comeback for him, & this wasn't it.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: steeleye
Apr 13, 2007, 08:19
That carols record is great isn't it?
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 08:42
I'm afraid Alice Cooper managed to make me wince on a regular basis in the 80s. He had a spell of releasing albums like 'Flush The Fashion', Special Forces' and 'Zipper Catches Skin' that each contained two really good songs and the rest just full of silly, pop nursery rhyme-like stuff. And not in a good, twisted way, either.

...And then there was the Muppets Show appearance. I sat there watching it on a sunday evening with some members of my family. And remember how embarrassed I felt, still. This figure who helped subvert popular rock music into something a bit unsavoury and dark, singing with Miss Piggy!
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 09:07
I may be wrong, but I thought 'The Lemon Song' and 'The Hunter' were both old blues songs... no excuse for covering them though, apart from their archaeological value...
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 09:08
I can forgive most of my favourites a great deal ... even the Cocteau Twins 'Frosty The Snowman' didn't bother me too much ...

... and being into mostly defunct bands this doesn't happen a lot ...

... although of the few ongoing ones that I do seriously follow, I was hugely upset by His Name Is Alive's 'Someday My Blues Will Cover The Earth' and 'Last Night' albums.

After 5 very inventive and varied albums that just got better and better they turned out these 2 R&B-ish (and not in the good '60's sense) shockers, even reworking one of their classic tunes 'Are We Still Married?' in this manner.

Happily last years 'Detrola' seems to be more of a return to form, although their website currently advises of an impending new outing threatening:

"Its a new kinda thing and we guarantee you will have a freak out when you hear it!!!"

and

"Mixing is not completely finished but we can tell you this much: it does feature a lot of homemade electric thumb pianos!!!"
Sowiesoso
122 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 09:14
erm funny I was going to post a thread along these lines i.e when your idol starts to make your toes curl. Off the top of me head..mostly any music Iggy Pop has put his name to in the last 20 years but Naughty Little Doggie most be the nadir (see Pussy Walk). And old jules is capable of some occassional doggrel in his druidions but the one that made me cringe was his announcement of his "2nd psychedelic period"....
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index