when your favourites make you wince!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

The Cringe
Apr 15, 2007, 09:28
Although I'm sure he has many untoward moments to choose from, both musically and otherwise, the one that makes me cringe most is Robert Plant's mincingly faux-American accent in the film - 'Song Remains The Same'

"Does enny-wan remembah laftah??"

ARGH. SO bad it's good. ROCK! YEAAARGH! RAWWWWK! Does rock have an American accent? What are the worst Brit-bands Americanisms?

Is that a whole new thread? Heavens forbid.

As for Plant, back in the dressing room, avec spliffage, he returns to his Black Country roots:

" Orl the cozmick enurjay.... it guz..."YEAAAArrrGH....BASH!"
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: when your favourites make you wince!
Apr 15, 2007, 13:11
Hawkwind have produced their fair share of cringy moments, but none more so than the Chronicle of the Balck Sword, which was just awful. The spoken passages with mime from the Elric character were toe-curlingly poor. Even now, it sends a shiver down my spine.

The Clash's final album Cut the Crap was also a disappointing end for a great band.
keith a
9570 posts

Re: The Jam
Apr 15, 2007, 15:58
Yes, meant The Gift. Much prefer Speak Like a Child to a lot of it actually.

> Great packaging, too. I still got me candy striped bag :-)

Don't remember that! I only got it on it cassette. I can only conclude it was really cheap, cos I hardly ever bought things on cassette!

But it's definitely All Mod Cons for me, with Sound Affects an under-rated number two.
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Apr 15, 2007, 16:32
Gary Numan Love him for some reason but Gawd! He can sure come up with some poo poo!
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Apr 15, 2007, 16:40
Almost forgot! Lets try to forget what happened to DEVO in the 90's-Nina Hagens big band expolsion-Metallica after ride the lightning-Drained Boner
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: The Jam
Apr 16, 2007, 05:38
keith a wrote:
But it's definitely All Mod Cons for me, with Sound Affects an under-rated number two.

I would tend to agree, but I do have a soft spot for Setting Sons.

I also agree about Speak Like a Child. Would have made a great Jam single, better than Beat Surrender, anyway.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 16, 2007, 06:30
Wot abaht that geezuh from Aphrodites Child turning into a housewives favrit singing MOR in an obversized dress?

England's answer to Elvis Presley turning into a born again twat.

Genesis getting rid of the interesting singer and getting in the Action fan (almost stigmatises that don't it?). Probly better to pretend they're a totally different band innit?

Eurythmics never lived up to the britfolk meets krautrock debut. Think they were just about ok as chart fodder but In The Garden's an incredible lp.
Stevo
Np Prince Far I Wiesbaden 81
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 16, 2007, 09:27
Footage of the young Cliff doesn't convince me that he was anywhere like being Elvis. He was way to squeeky clean even then. Elvis looked like he'd be a rough shag, whereas Cliff, well... he'd kiss you on the nose, say goodnight and walk away, wouldn't he? Maybe that's the benefit of hindsight, though.

Agree about In The Garden. I listened to it again just a few days ago and it still sounds fresh. Why didn't Annie play flute on anything else they did subsequently?
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 16, 2007, 09:45
As I mentioned on the other faves thread, the Velvet Underground reunion thing was appalling, due mainly to Lou Reed's insistence on singing in a wobbly, weird stop-start way that made me think he might have been deliberately sabotaging it. And it is all his fault, cos the one time he shuts up and he and Cale have a head-to-head instrumental battle on 'Hey Mr Rain', the whole thing came to life... for four minutes. According to John Cale's autobiog, he didn't have a very high opinion of his performance either.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index