Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
when your favourites make you wince!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: when your favourites make you wince!
Apr 12, 2007, 19:24
World In Motion. Jetstream. Lemon Song. Like 'em all. Don't even mind All Around My Hat* and Guilty!!

* Fond memories of walking past the Lido, Isle Of Man (aged 15), as the audience spilled out of Steeleye Span gig singing All Around My Hat en mass. It was great. Think I may even have joined in! ; )

As for my own faves...well as much as I love The Smiths, I've never particularly liked Cemetry Gates or Paint A Vulgar Picture.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 12, 2007, 19:38
For me it would have to be everything Yes recorded with Trevor Rabin and Paul Rogers recorded after 'Straight Shooter' and (sadly) every time I see Jimmy Page playing and he is looking at his hands in bewilderment as they refuse to do the devil's work.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 12, 2007, 19:44
Oh how right you are! There have been quite a few times when I've wished that English was not even my second language.

Still there is a pretty thick DMZ between the bravado of Free or Humble Pie and some of the women hating / fearing nastiness that (for example) David Coverdale came out with. Gimme Ronnie James Dio and his metal pixie poems any day of the week!
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 12, 2007, 21:38
OH GOD! Did he? That's rooted an unfortunate mental picture that'll be giving me unpleasant dreams the night...
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 12, 2007, 21:43
I love All Around My Hat as well - tis a brilliant ultimately singalongable song and I unashamedly adore it AND sing along at the top of my voice if ever I hear it! Didn't mind Jetstream either, but then I'm not a massive New Order fan it has to be said.

I'm not overly enamoured of Nick Cave's collaboration with Kylie on that Wild Rose track. Other than that I can't think of any really wince-worthy tracks by my favourites although doubtless as soon as I post this I'll remember a slew of them!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Tull
Apr 12, 2007, 22:36
To a gradually increasing degree, everything Jethro Tull have brought out after their first four classic LP's has disappointed me. The nadir is definitely 'Stormwatch' which is devoid of decent tunes, decent lyrics, and any hint of emotion. Dire. Ian Anderson lost the plot and the hunger as the dollars rolled in, but I'll always love him for 'This Was', 'Stand Up', 'Aqualung' and (especially) 'Benefit', which are all near-faultless to my ears.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: steeleye
Apr 12, 2007, 22:40
shit, i love gaudete, in small measures /// but then i love maddy prior's "tapestry of carols" = best "pop" christmas rec ever made
steeleye surely went off totally around the time of below the salt, tho, no? (i'm no expert) /// all downhill from that great great 1st LP?
while we're on a hippy folk tip, how about that horrible horrible thirs ear band unreleased Lp that surfaced a few yrs ago - "the magus" ... eeeewwww! someone turn that singer right off!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: steeleye
Apr 12, 2007, 23:00
Yes those first two albums were magnificent,'Salt certainly not their best, but not awful as they did become soon after.
Gaudete? Oh christ ever since Alan Partridge played it to that woman he was tying to impress.. hehe
Not heard much of Maddy solo (her voice just captivates me), but do have those recordings of her and Tim Hart. Oh, and the two with June Tabor are magnificent.
Oh, and have you heard her daghter, Rose Kemp?
Her elpee is bloody good!
Not folky in the least, but some off the mark PJ Harvey comparisons being made, through laziness, none the less.
Very good vocal style, with a soupson of her mum in there.
Check it, it's worth it!
x
keith a
9572 posts

Apr 12, 2007, 23:15
I seem to recall you didn't like Back For Good as much as Take That's other records ; )
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 04:32
I used to love the album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by little sausage-fingers Reg Dwight, when I was a kid.

The whole album now makes me cringe and roll my eyes.
As a matter of fact, HE now makes me cringe and roll my eyes.

Jamaica Jerk-Off? WTF?
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index