for one week , and seems
to be getting fuck all press
, what the hell !
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Tideland
Dec 06, 2006, 14:03
It came out here just before the Brothers Grimm, but got one of the most limited releases ever. I'm dying to see it, but it hasn't even graced the Arthouse cinema in Glasgow yet.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Dec 06, 2006, 15:31
Hopefully it
will find it's
audience on DVD !
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Mar 25, 2007, 04:43
Mar 25, 2007, 03:49
1001realapes wrote:
Hopefully it
will find it's
audience on DVD !

Wow, wow, wow.
Yes, just watched it on DVD (I don't think I was aware of this film at all, remembered seeing the title here in Unsung and found the thread).

This is Gilliam's finest work. It's also his ballsiest (pardon the expression, but it fits here). What is so incredible is the innocence and imagination that shines through the (INCREDIBLE) performances by the little girl and the brain-damaged kid, even against a backdrop of stunningly grotesque events. Even the scenes where she and the kid play 'kissy' is honest in it's childlike absence of 'adult' intention.

I won't give anything away that you can't read on the back of the box- suffice it to say this is a shockingly beautiful, disturbingly epiphanal, truly remarkable film- it's interesting coming on the heels of seeing 'Pan's Labyrinth', a very similar film in many ways... in it's depiction of a young child living between a monsterous reality and her own lucid imagination.

EDIT: I've been looking at the generally dim reception this film got from most reviewers. Most of them seem to base their opinion of it using their personal repulsion to the frank use of unpleasant visuals and the childhood imitation of adult behavior... I think it's the bravest thing Gilliam has done (and I do like most of his other works a whole bunch).

I guess not for the squeamish, tho....
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Mar 25, 2007, 10:01
I read your comments with interest so thanks for posting. I'll be checking this out ASAP, the storyline sounds intriguing, if it allows Gilliam to indulge his visual imagination then I'll be more than happy to see it. The fact that there are children in the lead roles doesn't put me off either, not with Gilliam at the helm anyway, I certainly won't be expecting something syruppy and sentimental !
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 25, 2007, 12:11
BUBBLEHEAD wrote:
I read your comments with interest so thanks for posting. I'll be checking this out ASAP, the storyline sounds intriguing, if it allows Gilliam to indulge his visual imagination then I'll be more than happy to see it. The fact that there are children in the lead roles doesn't put me off either, not with Gilliam at the helm anyway, I certainly won't be expecting something syruppy and sentimental !

Oh, believe me, this one is NOT sentimental! Just be prepared for some rather alarming imagery!

And DEFINITELY don't let the younger kids watch! Some of the scenes are downright disturbing (sort of funny, too... but probably not to a child!)
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Edited Mar 25, 2007, 16:15
Mar 25, 2007, 16:13
Watched this yesterday! (Thanks to Mojojojo for having it in the library!) I am totally unable to give you the plot as I have nooooooo idea what went on!! BUT I did enjoy it!! lol... lots of 'stuff'.... wonderful! [edited as I realised that I probably gave some of the plot away!]

Well worth watching..
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Mar 25, 2007, 21:13
worth catching? Heard someone on Radio 2 say they thought it was overlooked and quite close to Pan's Labyrinth, which I loved...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 25, 2007, 23:30
Jasonaparkes wrote:
worth catching? Heard someone on Radio 2 say they thought it was overlooked and quite close to Pan's Labyrinth, which I loved...

It's much, much better than Pan's Labyrinth.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Mar 26, 2007, 14:59
I highly recommend
the novel as well,
by Mitch Cullin !
Unsung Forum Index