Their Satanic Majesties

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Oooo! Stones fight!
Dec 07, 2006, 20:16
My point is if I wished to listen to Chuck Berry, I would! The Stones made a lot more money than he ever did without adding anything musically, so good for them I guess! Give Sir Mick an honorary doctorate in marketing!

As for the Beatles, they did quite well at fashioning their own sound -- which has been imitated muchly ever since (including by the Stones!)

I also think John Coltrane's a more interesting jazz player than Louis Armstrong -- not that there's anything "not enough-ish" about old timey New Orleans style jazz, I just appreciate those who "reach" a little further -- more "progressive", you know.

Face it, The Rolling Stones are about as "conservative" as music gets!
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Oooo! Stones fight!
Dec 07, 2006, 20:23
> The Stones made a lot more money than he ever did without adding anything musically

At the risk of sounding rude, that is a load of bollocks, Dog. If you can't tell the difference between a Chuck Berry record and a Rolling Stones record I suggest you ask Santa to bring you a new pair of ears for xmas.

They may have influences, but ultimately they sound (for better or worse) like The Stones. And they have done since at least 1965. Not Chuck Berry, not Bo Diddley, but the Rolling Stones.

They did sound like T.Rex on It's Only Rock'n'roll though, but that's another argument for another day ; )
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: Their Satanic Majesties
Dec 07, 2006, 20:25
The PERFORMANCE version is the version on THE LONDON YEARS (the singles collection).
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 07, 2006, 21:41
The Stones added make-up and "controversial" lyrics -- and their musicianship is certainly fine. But what "twist" did they add to "black american music of the 50's"?

You gonna tell me a song like "Parachute Woman" isn't just aping Slim Harpo (or somebody like that?) Take away the visuals and it's just kind of a minstrel show!

Lots of folks do what they do, maybe they do it better than most, but I just don't think it's interesting . . . can't abide Clapton's crud-blues for the same reason.

See also: the current Steven Seagal thread. Go to his myspace site and note that he is pictured on the cover of his CD (entitled "Mojo Priest"!)-- PLAYING GITAR ON THE PORCH OF A SHARECROPPER'S SHACK! Now that's some authentic blues! Fnaaar!!
keith a
9572 posts

Dec 07, 2006, 22:46
We can all take a track to prove our point! So..

I'll go for Brown Sugar to name one of the famous ones.

It might have influences that can be traced back to black American music but from the opening bar onwards it could be no-one else but the Rolling Stones. If you tell me otherwise, I'd love to hear it!

What twist did they come up with? Well their debut LP may well have been a basic blues album, albeit one I like a lot, but they'd already come up with their own twist on things before they added the make up and really got going with the controversy.

Keef's riffing, Mick's cockney drawl, their combined songwriting, to name a few things that make up their identity. And ultimately they ended up with a sound of their own, a sound that is as unique as Chuck or Bo's. Whether anyone likes it of course is another entirely.

(Personally I don't rate Exile On Main Street, but I seem to be in a minority these days, but there you go!)
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 08, 2006, 00:02
god alone knows what Dog must think of Brain Donor
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 08, 2006, 00:05
there has always been a massive musical snobbery when it comes to rock n roll. why is three chord rock n roll less valid than a 20 minute free jam ?

does it take more brain power to ramble on up a blind alley for 20 odd minutes with a flute stuck up your arse and a sax played through a cucumber than it does to play Sister Morphine ?

i think not
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Dec 08, 2006, 00:05
I get tired of the ridiculous 'pale imitators' argument. Everyone has heroes, everyone starts somewhere. Would you rather have a world without AC/DC, The Beatles, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin et al?
They all started out imitating American blues musicians and all, like the Stones, took it somewhere unique and distinctly OTHER.
Even those blues guys were imitating earlier blues guys.
And no American Blues ever sounded like "Under My Thumb", "She Said Yeah", "Stray Cat Blues" "Get Off My Cloud" etc.

I like every song on Exile except "Shine A Light".

I think Their Satanic Majesties (grammatically challenged) Request is one of their worst early period LPs, though Citadel and a few other tracks on it are great...and it is an interesting listen, in MONO. The stereo is crap.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited Dec 08, 2006, 14:04
Dec 08, 2006, 01:14
Yea it must also be my favorite stones album (though not my favorite album), it´s so dull when they still compare it to sgt. pepper, i think that´s quite much missing the point.

there was something magic about brian jones, wasn´t it his intention in the beginning to make stones a some kinda cover band, to use these influences to root their thing deeper, later on (loosely at the time of satanic majesties) he got interested on north african trance(dance) music(wich, about this particular branch they say, is 4000 years old rock musick), so he must´ve been having some deeper thing going on with music(listen to the arrangement on paint it black).and he has his finger prints all over satanic majesties in particular.

and he helped a lot on bringing glam upon rock.
Andy Peacehole
Andy Peacehole
6 posts

"Jumping Jack Flash" = Sexy Stones trax rule!
Dec 08, 2006, 06:54
xxx Riotmaster, I'm SO with you on this! xxx People like you and me like MUSIC...which is a RIVER. of LIFE!!!/

I heard the Stones from older siblings until I DESPISED them, carried on and then rediscovered them many years later and fell in love with them and their jagged ways/

Condemning those good ol' horrible Stones of ripping off Chuck Berry is like dissing the perfect little Beatles for being a Buddy Holly cover band! I(What a DRASTICALLY callous and narrow minded statement! I'm still recovering!)/

OK, Chuck and Bo and Muddy.All OVUH the map of Stones land with big "X"s! But what about the Beatles, too: Carl Perkins, Buddy and Little Richard the Queenie? A-WHHOOOOOOOOOOOO! And it looks like every band, EVER, too! So I miss your point COMPLETELY (but then again, I am a SPUPREME airhead who lives in and for the moment/!)

I am SO SORRY to come over all neggy. But DO check YO head before you play that tired race card again! It is SO divisive, unconstructive and to put it most simply NOT TO THE POINT, off the mark and DOCK your butt 4 points for damming the undammable, SUGAH! Stones rule! You don't have to LOVE everything (altho moi is currently trying to make it my little ol' raisin detere, so there!)

I don't know EVERY Stones track, but I know and love many and I know most of them do not adhere strictly to R+B+Chuckles the B!!!

And how could ANYONE forget all those lovely Elizabethian-tinged madrigals the Stones did. "Lady Jane", "Sad Day" or "When Blue Turns To Grey" make me reach for the camisole and cannibis. EVERY TIME! Or the FIERCENESS of "Paint It, Black"?!!/

And So many sexy tracks, late night, back door romance of "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'"? Like creeping up the back stairs on tippy toes so no one will hear?! Sets my heart on FIRE! Every time! But not like 'Jumping Jack Flash" that song I can't even speak of it in anything less than hushed tones it SO ripped my head off years ago during this party my girlfriends and I were having......doing things....and I swear the apartment walls were throbbing to the beat when we were dancing so hard that we all oh, I'm blushing now!! O it was so HOTTT we all raced to the shower, BELIEVE it!

MERRY YULETIDE Triple-X-MAS to ALL TO YOU! PEACE AND LOVE, YOUR PAL ANDY PEACEHOLE
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index