Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.

130 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.
Dec 03, 2006, 09:49
silogut wrote:

Speaking from a UK perspective currently magazines such as Mojo, Q Magazine, Word, Uncut etc do feature alot of best of lists/ hyped editorial over lost albums etc. Sometimes these albums live up to these expectations and alot of the time not. Which is why it is so refreshing when you do buy something that does it for you.

I think out of the three, Word is the most interesting, as it's not so obsessed with Bob fucking Dylan's electricity bill from 65 (?), as he's in these every week one way or another. Infact, it's all 60s/70s West Coast back to mine which is fine for some but jeez boys, it is 2000 and bloody 6 (apart from Q, which reckons James Morrisson and Norah Jones are good). These mags haven't the balls to atempt to delve into what's really good today, because as it stands, what is worthwhile doesn't ever sell (didn't always be the case).
I buy The Wire to REALLY find out what's worth listening to today. The problem is, the writing is so dry, and the reviews rarely that critical, but it does offer a fair bit of insight.
x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index